SDI to IP

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
BMNick

SDI to IP

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 5:42 pm

HI,

I have an ATEM Television Studio 4K already setup but we are trying to send the video through our network instead of using HDMI or SDI since is already in place. I'm kind of new to this but as far as I understand I'll need some device to convert from SDI to IP, was looking into the Teranex SDI to IP Converter but I have some questions. The output from ATEM goes into the SDI to IP converter but do I need another Converter from IP back to SDI, because the input in the TV's has to be HDMI or SDI. Also we have about 10 TV's will I need anything else to amplify the signal or not?

Really appreciate your answers.

Jack Fairley

Re: SDI to IP

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Yes, you would have to convert the video back to SDI. If you aren't experienced with networking, the Teranex SDI/IP converters may be difficult for you to get working.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 8:59 am

Also quite expensive.. As you have to do SDI to HDMi conversion behind the TV too.. Also need a heavy duty network switch and have a fun evening getting Master clock timing up and running.

Normally i don't like chinese stuff a lot.. but i recently discovered some box that does HDMI over IP. Can be run trough a network switch and you can put 254 receivers on it as long as they share the same network.
It does however have HDCP and will not work if the receiver does not detect HDCP on the monitor. As it will show a blue image for protection.

This would be a nice solution if you have network cabling to all your tv's instead of SDI cabling what would have been easier. If you search better you are ablt to find them for around 30 dollars.. But be sure it is this box to IP.. not just an UTP extender because most UTP extenders work like crap..
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/278125-ocean-matrix-omx-hdmi-2-ip-r-hdmi-over-ip-extender-receiver

EDIT>> This website says up to 8 receivers.. The manual with my box says 254. :roll: #Chinese.....
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 1:08 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Normally i don't like chinese stuff a lot.. but i recently discovered some box that does HDMI over IP. Can be run trough a network switch and you can put 254 receivers on it as long as they share the same network.
I wonder what those HDMI to IP boxes are doing in terms of compression. The product page indicates that the network bandwidth used is 80 Mbps (and claims it works over 100Mb Ethernet):
http://www.oceanmatrix.com/product.asp? ... -HDMI-2-IP

That's some pretty aggressive compression for an uncompressed 1080p signal (much more than the 4:1 TICO compression used by the Teranex Mini IP boxes).

Have you noticed any visual artifacts in the video at the receiver end? And what is the latency like?

Xtreemtec

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 11:52 am

Latency is quite good, Not seen visual artifacts so far.. But haven't been stress testing it..

Actual bandwith comes more down to 40Mbps from what my network switch is telling me.. But the timing is quite crucial.. I was not able to push it over a dedicated Wireless point to point setup from Ubiquiti. Not even in the widest bandspace mode. So it seems it's not just UDP but really a true format that cuts out the signal if not fast enough..

As it was for a test setup to shoot HD realtime trough the P2P link instead of streaming it with a big compression and a bit of latency.. We put it in the corner and some day will do more tests when we have time and a setup for it. ;) But 2 receivers on 1 transmitter with a managed switch between it worked very ok.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production