YUV to RGB-conversion

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Asgeir Hustad

YUV to RGB-conversion

PostMon Oct 29, 2018 8:27 am

Hi,

I recently had to interface a projector that did not support YUV color space.

The new mini converter 6G says in the tech specs that it supports both RBG and YUV color space on both SDI and HDMI ports. But does it actually convert from say YUV to RGB, or is it just pass-through?

If it's just pass-through, can anyone recommend a proper color space converter? Don't wanna run into this issue again and have to rely on sketchy venue gear only... Maybe the Teranex AV is the way to go?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: YUV to RGB-conversion

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 am

There aren't any color space output settings on the SDI to HDMI (or HDMI to SDI) Mini Converter models (there are no hardware mini-switches or software settings for controlling this as far as I can tell). So I'm guessing that the output color space generally matches the input color space.

If you only need to handle HD resolutions (1080p60 and below), then the Decimator MD-HX has RGB 4:4:4, YUV 4:4:4, and YUV 4:2:2 as HDMI output color space options (over SDI it always outputs YUV 4:2:2).

In the Teranex line, it seems like only the Teranex 3D has any explicit colorspace output settings (at least according to the manual).

Asgeir Hustad

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks, Dave!

The Teranex AV lists this in the specs page, though:
TeranexAV.PNG
TeranexAV.PNG (3.24 KiB) Viewed 3947 times

But I've been planning on getting a Decimator MD-HX anyway though, so I guess that'll be the way to go :D Just need to figure out a distributor in Norway, then.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 am

Yes, apparently selectable RGB/YUV output over HDMI was added to the Teranex AV in firmware update 6.1 in November 2017:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... 5fccb1b146

It seems like the Teranex Manual hasn't been updated since October 2016, which is probably why this feature isn't mentioned there.

The Teranex AV would be the way to go if you need support for resolutions higher than 1080p or if you need any of the more advanced conversion and image adjustment features the Teranex offers.

Jschroeder

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 10:15 am

Hi
The Decimator design MD-HX has the option to set the HDMI out to be a few different colour space types including yuv, rgb, DVI RGB 444. This should hopefully allow you told convert either SDI or HDMI to what you need.

IsseSwe

PostTue Nov 10, 2020 6:29 pm

Got this issue as well today, as the only 19" monitor I could find with a decent pricetag was dvi input.
ended up sening hdmi to a bi directional and hdmi to dvi kable to monitor, seems as the bi-directional unit alters the colorspace :-)
1 x ATEM Constallation 2ME | 2 x Hyperdeck Mini HD | 1 x Multidock 10G | 1 x Video Hub 40 | 1 x Multiview 16 | 1 x Web Presenter HD | 3 x Ursa Broadcast

bkduck

PostWed Dec 21, 2022 6:07 pm

IsseSwe wrote:Got this issue as well today, as the only 19" monitor I could find with a decent pricetag was dvi input.
ended up sening hdmi to a bi directional and hdmi to dvi kable to monitor, seems as the bi-directional unit alters the colorspace :-)

I can confirm, the BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G unit will perform this conversion. I am now using the ATEM MINI PRO with output converted to a HP (computer) Monitor. Some monitors can convert from YUV to RGB colorspace in their settings, via an onscreen menu. The unit I have does not support this.

Also, the first time I tried this with the BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G, I used cheap HDMI cables, and there was no change in the video out. When I simply replaced these cables with better quality HDMI cables, the unit was able to perform the conversion.

The real challenge appears to be how to find the correct information for resolving this issue.

Return to Live Production