Hyperdeck Mini Playback Issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Borrodin

Hyperdeck Mini Playback Issue

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 10:31 am

Hi,
I'm having trouble playing back video files that were not recorded on the device. On-device recording works fine, and playback of on-device recorded files also works. Firmware 6.0 on device.

H264 - file not recognised at all.
DNxHD - video and audio plays. Video freezes after 10 seconds. Audio continues.
DNxHR - audio plays. Video does not play at all.
ProRes - I wish. I'm on Windows.

All files are rendered using Resolve 15.1.2, using the recommended settings from the Hyperdeck manual. All files play fine on standalone players (VLC).

I'm running out of options and I have a live event in a couple of weeks that I need to play out some video into a mixer for. I'm not looking for loads of choice. I just want one option that actually works. Any help is appreciated.
Intel i7-8700, 32GB RAM, nVidia Geforce GTX1080
O/S & App: M2 NVMe, Cache: SSD, Storage: 7200spin
Windows 10 Pro, Davinci Resolve 15.2 Studio

Jack Fairley

Re: Hyperdeck Mini Playback Issue

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Record something on the deck, import to Resolve, and copy the media info exactly for export.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 12:10 am

Also note that for H.264 files, playback is only supported for files that are actually recorded on the device. This is a known limitation of the H.264 support that is mentioned in the manual:
NOTE Currently, HyperDeck Studio Mini will play back H.264 files recorded on a HyperDeck Studio Mini, but not H.264 files recorded on other video equipment.

Borrodin

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Thanks all. I've tried the suggested and I've managed to get one configuration that appears to be working. It feels a bit like trying to find Platform 9 3/4: You've got to know it's there and aim directly for only that with no deviation.

It shouldn't be this hard, but I do now have an answer to my need. It's far from a user-friendly product from this perspective though. Anyone less technically-minded or receiving files from a 3rd party may have sent this back by now.
Intel i7-8700, 32GB RAM, nVidia Geforce GTX1080
O/S & App: M2 NVMe, Cache: SSD, Storage: 7200spin
Windows 10 Pro, Davinci Resolve 15.2 Studio

Xtreemtec

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 12:03 pm

I talked with the BMD Engineers at IBC and discussed this matter.

I suggested that in resolve we get Export presets for the Hyperdecks. That will render the files in the right format so it will play on the hyperdecks without issues.

This request is passed along and we can only hope this will find it's way in a next release of the software.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production