Security Camera System to ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kevin Matutu

Security Camera System to ATEM

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi All,

I'm not only new to these here parts, but also new to live streaming. Hope to gain a lot.
I'm looking to build by first BM setup, and i saw a video on YT where someone was streaming live from 16 security cameras into a DVR and them BM capture card in their desktop.

My main aim is to do relatively large event livestreaming,(so think concerts, multi-venue Festivals,etc). So would need the set up to cover as much ground as possible without compromising on video quality.

My questions are as follows:
1. Has anyone worked with this kind of set up before?
2. If I go with a Wireless camera system, all feeding into the DVR then ATEM, what issues would I face? What
3. If I don't go with a WiFi option, what other options are there that would gurantee the best range
and quality

As i've never done this, my questions may seem rather vague, but i'm hoping for some guidance.

Xtreemtec

Re: Security Camera System to ATEM

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 7:57 pm

Kevin Matutu wrote:So would need the set up to cover as much ground as possible without compromising on video quality.

Don't go with Video security cams then.. These are build for Video security but when it comes to good quality for live video they really dis-appoint.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 1:12 pm

security DVRs generally only have one output, so guessing you will only get one camera at a time into your ATEM, or the DVR multiview screen. this output will probably have to be scaled to match the ATEM resolution/framerate.

personally this isn't a road i'd go down, but good luck anyway
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Kevin Matutu

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Thank you @Xtreemtec and @Mambafibre for you feedback... clearly security cameras are not the way to go.

The only other option i can think of would be this, (please advise if you think it would work)

1. One main hub (laptop, Atem etc)
2. Several "workstations" in remote locations (camera with audio in, U-Tap into Laptop)

Now given a dedicated internet connection, the idea would be that the workstations would stream their feed to an online server like MIST, or other streaming servers.

I would then take that feed, of each and every workstation (streamed), and enter it into OBS, and have a multi-location stream in that sense.
Understandably there'd be a 3-5 second delay for each stream, but that's a trade-off if i can have streams kilometers apart.

What do you think?

Andrew Martin

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 8:22 pm

If looking at this type of multi mix multi room dedicatednetwork scenario look at NDI

You could have several "workstations ' feeding an NDI output onto the dedicated network to a central switcher/ streamer
BMD do a line of capture cards and external capture devices (but stay away from the shuttle) it's garbage :D
that could be used in various locations / "workstations"

Markus Leodolter

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 7:10 am

Do you get yor camera signalwith sdi or by network?

Return to Live Production