Fiber Upgrade to BMD Studio Camera

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BruceND75

Fiber Upgrade to BMD Studio Camera

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 9:52 pm

I have searched the forum but have not found a clear explanation of what it takes to enable fiber connections to the BMD Studio Camera. According to all I have read, you need a fiber "upgrade" to make that viable. Is that a firmware update that enables that functionality, or is a BMD camera converter required?

A second question. Will there be a need for any other cable from the ATEM studio converter to the camera, or will the fiber signal carry all the necessary video/audio?

TIA

Ryan Boni

Re: Fiber Upgrade to BMD Studio Camera

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 5:02 pm

All you need for the "upgrade" is a fiber SFP module in each camera. If you look at the Studio Cameras, they come with an empty slot where the fiber connects. You can get away with just about any kind of Video SFP, however, I've always stuck with buying the Blackmagic ones without any problems.

Blackmagic makes both 3G and 6G SFP modules. If you aren't using 4K video, you can just use the 3G modules, which are about half the price. (For instance, B&H sells the 3G modules for $69, and the 6G for $149).

The SFP just pushes into the camera and clicks in place and is ready to go.

I believe that your Studio Converter already comes with the SFPs in it (I know the Talkback Converters come WITHOUT them), but you'll want to double check, otherwise, you would need an SFP optical module on each of the 4 inputs of the Studio Converter that you want to use.

The fiber will carry all the (bidirectional) video, audio, tally, intercom, CCU control info that you need without needing any other cables.
Public Access Director, Peters Twp Comm TV
Freelance TV Broadcast Camera Op (sometimes Dir, TD, EIC, Video)

ATEM M/E 1, 2 & TVS, Studio & Broadcast Cam, Smartscope/view, Cam Conv, Studio Conv, Talkback Conv, Hyperdecks, Videohub 40x40 & MC

BruceND75

PostSun Nov 04, 2018 3:41 am

Thanks for all the great wisdom!!! Perfect!

Xtreemtec

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 12:43 pm

And be sure to use SM (SingleMode) fiber instead of MultiMode..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

BruceND75

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks!

Return to Live Production