Remote Roaming Camera with iPhone to ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kevin Matutu

Remote Roaming Camera with iPhone to ATEM

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 11:42 am

Hey all,

This is my thought process, please advise if this will work:

1. Film using iPhone that is connected to a Lightning-To-HDMI adapter
2. This adapter is connected to a HDMI wireless transmitter (and receiver)
3. The HDMI wireless receiver is connected to the ATEM via HDMI in

So that would mean that in the HDMI inputs, you could have X stationery cameras, and one roaming camera (with lavelier mic for better sound)

Xtreemtec

Re: Remote Roaming Camera with iPhone to ATEM

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Really not sure why you would want to do this with a Iphone or whatever phone for that matter.
Even a dslr is better suited for this then a phone..

Also you need to do a resolution conversion to match the resolution and framerate from the Atem. Otherwise you wont get any image.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Asgeir Hustad

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 1:50 pm

If you want a remote roaming iPhone-camera, use AirPlay to share the screen to a Mac Mini/Apple-TV or similar, then connect that via HDMI.

I've done it before to get the "Selfie-shot" from stage that was so popular a few years back in to the video mixer. The main advantage is that you don't need to connect anything else to the iPhone - it's just the phone, compared to having adapters and power for HDMI transmitter etc.

Issues are quality, range of your wifi and interference from other cell phones on wifi, and the fact that it's a phone, not a camera. Things will shake.

If you actually want to use it as a roaming camera (not an effect shot), I wouldn't usually bother. Rent something designed for it.

Kevin Matutu

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 7:03 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Really not sure why you would want to do this with a Iphone or whatever phone for that matter.
Even a dslr is better suited for this then a phone..

Also you need to do a resolution conversion to match the resolution and framerate from the Atem. Otherwise you wont get any image.

Hey Xtreemtec, thank you for you response.
Unfortunately, i live in Zimbabwe where salaries are like $500/month, so buying a lot of stuff blows a man's budget really quickly. I had considered this option because i already have an iPhone that i received as a gift. So If I could use that as a camera, it would save USD$500+ by not having to get a DSLR camera (not including shipping and duty/taxes)

I was asking this question because I've been saving up to purchase my very first ATEM switcher, so I need to visualize and theorize my set-up so that i get what I need to actually buy.

Kevin Matutu

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 8:00 am

Asgeir Hustad wrote:If you want a remote roaming iPhone-camera, use AirPlay to share the screen to a Mac Mini/Apple-TV or similar, then connect that via HDMI.

I've done it before to get the "Selfie-shot" from stage that was so popular a few years back in to the video mixer. The main advantage is that you don't need to connect anything else to the iPhone - it's just the phone, compared to having adapters and power for HDMI transmitter etc.

Issues are quality, range of your wifi and interference from other cell phones on wifi, and the fact that it's a phone, not a camera. Things will shake.

If you actually want to use it as a roaming camera (not an effect shot), I wouldn't usually bother. Rent something designed for it.

Hi Asgeir, thank you for your response. I certainly understand your points.
Would have to look into the Mac Mini option, because of the pricing, $300 approx - is a tall order living in Zimbabwe, so I need to figure out what i can substitute.

I've bought an Evo Shift smartphone gimbal with which the phone is stable, so my idea was to roam around with the phone on gimbal and take quick videos interviewing event attendees etc.

This would be my first livestream set up (purchasing my first ATEM in December) - so need all the advice and guidance I can get. Asking YouTubers who have done ATEM videos takes LONG for responses.
So I truly appreciate this forum and all those who respond.

Let me know what you think/

Andrew Martin

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Airserver.com

Using the phones mirror cast feature.

Return to Live Production