Controlling external audiomixer from ATEM

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Torbjörn Lindström

Controlling external audiomixer from ATEM

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi!
I know the answer probably is around if I search but being a lazy son of a ---- I try asking you guys instead. Hope that´s ok.
So we got this controlroom setup for live broadcasting where we run a 2 M/E Production Studio 4K for video mixing but audio is handled by a good old yamaha 01v96 console.
Since we need good control over our audio aux channels and IFB to different recievers we cannot use the built in audio mixer in ATEM control.
But what would be really nice is to be able to control the Yammy from atem. For example activate channels on the audio mixer with macros in Atem and so on.
Is this even possible and if so what kind of wizardry is needed?

Thanks for any answer on this. Even a "forget it, dude" would be appreciated so I can spend my headscrathing on other stuff.

MambaFiber.com

Re: Controlling external audiomixer from ATEM

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 4:09 pm

my experience with video driving the audio hasn't ever provided me with results I found satisfactory. That being said, here's a few option you can explore.

OSC is an open control system that may provide you a means of controlling both the Yamaha and ATEM.

If you get the tally box for the ATEM, it's outputs can trigger GPI inputs on the Yamaha to recall scenes, etc.

One thing we do with the ATEM is bring the audio output into our audio board, and set the ATEM mixer for AFV on certain sources, mainly playback sources for features with audio. This way the ATEM becomes a "smart" playback source for audio. We can do this since we use an external embedder for our ATEM PGM audio.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Torbjörn Lindström

Re: Controlling external audiomixer from ATEM

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks for that input, Greg! I´ll look into it.

Return to Live Production