Record & Stream same time

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

lastson

Record & Stream same time

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 am

Hello,

Was hoping someone could assist in the best way to record and stream at the same time. I have the Ultrastudio Mini Recorder connected to a Canon 5D Mark IV and to an older iMac (has thunderbolt 2 ports, not sure what year). Right now we are using the camera to stream for a webinar, and previously we were able to load up quicktime and record the high def stream but now QT says "operation cannot be completed" when we load it up and select the camera. Same with OBS and other apps, which I assume is because the web browser is solely using the camera and the stream can't be used otherwise.

Not sure if I should be using a splitter, and if so, if I would need two of the Ultrastudio mini recorders (BM recommends that) or if there is some software hack to do this.

Thanks!

Andrew Martin

Re: Record & Stream same time

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 7:26 pm

I haven't had to stream using a pc for an age now ( my preference is to always use a dedicated hardware streamer, one device, one job) but,

Several of the software mixers have an ability to pass program output back into the pc as a virtual output, which can be seen by the web browser (another application) instead of selecting the actual webcam (camera feed) you would select the output of the virtual feed.

If you buy a 2nd US mini recorder you'd need a 2nd camera to plug into it, so v.strange recommendation. but why would BMD care they'd have ur Dosh for the 2nd device before you realised. :lol:

lastson

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 12:09 am

Andrew Martin wrote:I haven't had to stream using a pc for an age now ( my preference is to always use a dedicated hardware streamer, one device, one job) but,

Several of the software mixers have an ability to pass program output back into the pc as a virtual output, which can be seen by the web browser (another application) instead of selecting the actual webcam (camera feed) you would select the output of the virtual feed.

If you buy a 2nd US mini recorder you'd need a 2nd camera to plug into it, so v.strange recommendation. but why would BMD care they'd have ur Dosh for the 2nd device before you realised. :lol:

True, I thought pushing another product would be in their best interest lol. Do you know of any software that can split the stream like you're referring to? I tried OBS but what wound up happening is that I could only use it within OBS and nothing else could use it, not Quicktime or the browser.

Brett Casadonte

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 2:00 pm

You may want to look at Wirecast from Telestream. We are 100% Mac-based, and use Wirecast as our primary software-based streaming solution and there is also an option to record camera ISOs while you are streaming. While we don't use that feature (we record camera ISOs to Hyperdecks), it is something that is available in the Pro version.

Please note that depending on how many channels you're planning on recording and for how long, you may need an external RAID array.

https://www.telestream.net/wirecast/overview.htm
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Return to Live Production