Analog to SDI Mini Converters: Anyone else having issues?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

salvatoreliveshots

Analog to SDI Mini Converters: Anyone else having issues?

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 3:05 pm

We own several Blackmagic Analog to SDI Mini Converters and use them on a daily basis. Unfortunately, they all seem to stop functioning properly after any given amount of time and fail to do what they are built to do. We've sent back the defective units and have had countless boxes replaced by Blackmagic (which, to be fair, has been a relatively easy process) but considering how much we rely on these converters, there must be a solution to these malfunctions. Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, how have you handled it? Thanks in advance.

Michael Beck

Re: Analog to SDI Mini Converters: Anyone else having issues

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 3:10 pm

We have never had issues with the many converter boxes we use. I once thought that I had a bad box, but it turned out to be a bad SDI cable. The boxes have been rock solid for us.
------------
-Michael Beck

b3nelson

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 6:24 pm

I have had issues when they have been left on overnight. They are not for 24h production, if you are looking for 24h production, then you may look into the HD converters, or a camera with HD-SDI built in.

My best solution, plug in the converters when needed, not leaving them on all the time, same goes for the ATEM Switchers, turn off when not is use, I have ran issues when leaving anything running overnight.

Chris Hand

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Hm, I've been running 2 SDI to Analog converters for around 2 years straight with no issues and never turning them off. So I don't think it's an issue with Power, but can't speak for the Analog to SDI.

Michael Beck

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 9:22 pm

It might be heat.. those suckers get HOT! are they stacked, or in a not well ventilated area?
------------
-Michael Beck

Ben Longden

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 1:36 pm

My only issue with the SDI converter is that none in the range offer the facility for IEEE1394/Firewire input.

We shoot news, using the gold standard digital betacam and often have to upload vision via satellite to the office, and sadly the only Firewire to SDI converters are in the $1700 range.....

While many would argue that firewire is a legacy and old tech, the reality is most of us news guys use gear that cost upwards of $40K for true broadcast work, and wont be rep[laced anytime soon..... and even the new Sony ENG series of cameras feature firewire out.

Besides, the sat truck used by the company and the opposition networks are all equipped with firewire input.

Could it be that the professional news shooter is being left out in the cold?

Michael Moran

PostFri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 am

I've had 2 issues. On August 4th, one of my boxes was plugged in for a few hours before an event and the color went out. It was showing blue as red. I unplugged everything and replugged and it worked fine. Then on the 19th had 2 plugged in for a few hours and they both went blue??? I replaced one on the fly so one of the cameras looked fine, unplugged the other for an hour and plugged back in and that one was fine. I'm not sure if this was a heat issue or what but this has been my only setback with any BMD items.

Return to Live Production