Understanding Hyperdeck Studio Pro and timecode

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ejpontius

Understanding Hyperdeck Studio Pro and timecode

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 4:05 am

I'm trying to understand how the Hyperdeck Studio Pro works with timecode.

I have an ATEM 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4k switcher. Time of day timecode from a generator is being fed into the switcher's timecode input.
I have Smart VideoHub router that sends the program output from the Switcher to a Hyperdeck Studio Pro.
3 Aux outs from the switcher send camera ISO's from the switcher to the router and then to 3 hyperdeck Mini's.

Hitting record on the Hyperdeck Mini's each is getting timecode that is embedded into the SDI signal from the switcher. I play the records back and they show the time of day timecode. Works as I expected.

Here's what I don't understand.
If the Hyperdeck Studio Pro's timecode setting is set to Input and the record button is hit, it shows the timecode from the switcher when the deck is recording.

If I play the file back, the timecode is not the time of day timecode that displayed when it was recorded. So from what I can tell it is seeing the embedded timecode during recording, but not actually recording it?

If I connect an cable from the Timecode out on the switcher to the Hyperdeck Studio Pro and set the timecode on the deck to external and hit record, it sees the time of day timecode when the deck is recording.
When I play the file back...the time code is not the time of day timecode.

If I set the Timecode Out option in the Hyperdeck Studio Pro to On, and then record it shows the time of day timecode when recording and when playing back the file.

I really don't understand what it is doing. Why is it showing me timecode during recording, but seemingly not recording it to the file?

The Hyperdeck Studio Pro manual seems to be very light on information on the timecode settings in the deck. I'm not really understanding why it doesn't seem to be able to record the timecode it is seeing and why the timecode out setting switched to on seems to have an effect.

I don't mind using the timecode in on the Hyperdeck Studio Pro, but I was thinking it would be cleaner if it could just take the embedded timecode like the mini's seem to be doing.

A little insight would be appreciated.

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Understanding Hyperdeck Studio Pro and timecode

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 2:22 am

I believe that during playback, the HyperDeck Studio display is showing you the timecode that is being output with the video signal. So if Timecode Out is turned off, you may not see the recorded timecode in the display since it is not being output with the video signal.

I don't think the Timecode Out setting should have any effect on whether or not timecode is actually recorded in the files written by the HyperDeck. My understanding is that there is always some timecode written to the recorded files (and the source of that timecode is determined from the timecode input settings on the HyperDeck).

So, I would expect that the timecode from the switcher is actually being recorded to the files written by the HyperDeck when the Timecode setting is set to Input. But you might have to look at the files in a timecode capable editor to verify if this is the case.

ejpontius

Re: Understanding Hyperdeck Studio Pro and timecode

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks. I did some further tests with 3 records.

Did a record with external over XLR and timecode out enabled.
Did a record with Input timecode and timecode out enabled.
Did a record with Input timecode and timecode out disabled.

Then pulled each of these 3 records into Premiere. All three records show the correct start timecode in time of day.
So it is recording the time code to the file no matter if the timecode is set to input or external over XLR.

It's just not displaying it if the deck isn't set to external and timecode out enabled.
I don't believe that when the timecode is set to Input and timecode out enabled that it displays the timecode either on the deck.

Return to Live Production