UltraStudio Mini Recorder paired w/ Panasonic G7 & Zoom H4N

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

chimeracreators

UltraStudio Mini Recorder paired w/ Panasonic G7 & Zoom H4N

PostSun Nov 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Good afternoon,
First I'm sorry if there is an answer else where on the forum. I've searched every combination I can think of and nothing.

We are trying to setup a simple Livestream setup to interview event attendees live for a local nonprofit event. The hope was to do it with existing equipment we have used for vlogging and a previous attempt at live streaming a few years ago.

So our issue is Audio out to laptop. Here's the path: SM58 > Zoom H4N > Sescom LN2MIC-ZMH4-MON 3.5mm Line to Mic 25dB Attenuation Cable for Zoom H4N > Panasonic G7 > Micro HMDI > BlackMagic UltraStudio Mini Recorder > MacBook Pro

We've been able to repeatedly record the audio signal on the G7 from H4N with zero issues, not even latency that we can discern. We also have perfect quality out of HDMI to TV with a preserved L/R split when using headphones.

What has not worked is coming out to Youtube Livestream, Hangouts, or OBS. On YT the video is great but there is zero audio out. On Hangouts, video is great on Chrome and Safari but not Firefox and still no audio though all three show UltraStudio as an option for audio but none grab it. OBS on the other hand is a black screen with zero audio signal in spite of allowing it to be selected.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

chimeracreators

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder paired w/ Panasonic G7 & Zoom

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 1:58 pm

For anyone else having this problem, I've found a work around that seems to guarantee audio output and bypasses the need to occasionally restart because the UltraStudio is not recognized as a source. If you plug everything in for your camera, plug the BlackMagic into your computer and turn everything on if it is not already, then if there's an issue I just pull the hdmi out of the blackmagic and plug it in a tv we use as a confidence monitor until the Panasonic recognizes it and scales the source. Once it says that its scaled, I've had the blackmagic pair 100% of the time on both my desktop (windows) and MacBook.

Return to Live Production