Update SSD list for Hyperdecks - Holidays 2018

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Michael Lindblad

Update SSD list for Hyperdecks - Holidays 2018

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Looking for a new list off SSDs that are Hyperdeck Studio Pro approved. Last list was May 2018 and other list are still showing some discontinued cards as main and approved.
With the holiday season coming up - we are trying to restock our SSD pile with some discounted cards. Currently looking at the Sandisk Ultra 3D 500gb and the Sandisk SSD Plus. Stats are fairly similar, but BM doesn't show the cards on the approved list.

Sandisk Extreme Pro / Ultra 3D / SSD Plus
Write: 515 / 530 / 445 MB/s
Read: 550 / 560 / 535 MB/s
Random Write: 90k / 84k / N/A IOPS
All are SATA revision 3.0 (6/GB/s)

We currently need to record in 1080p60 at ProRes HQ as our highest settings, but 4k30 would be great as an option (for the 1% of times when we shoot that format). Also hoping to switch codecs to ProRes or ProRes LT soon as our sitting podcast shows do not all need to record at 225 MB/s with the advanced codec.

So would I be safe to say something like the Ultra 3D should be equal to the Extreme Pro that Blackmagic approves of with stats this similar? Is there another piece I am missing in my testing before purchasing these cards? Is there a new list on the way or a list with more SSDs on it?

Xtreemtec

Re: Update SSD list for Hyperdecks - Holidays 2018

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 5:26 pm

BMD does not do a lot of testing and approving anymore on the SSD lists.
Reason is they have to buy a few cards of every model.. Put it trough testing and then update list.

Your best bet is to buy 1. Put it trough some heavy test passes.. And if that works for you. Buy a lot!!

Or hope some guys here have other disks that are OK to use. And respond on this topic.

I have bought a lot of SSD's in the past from the list.
And for my Atomos recorders i use a lot of Angelbird drives now for RAW 4K. Angelbird is not cheap at all.. But very stable and good speeds. ;) But i do not have full size hyperdecks at the moment. Only Hyperdeck mini's. So can't test them..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Michael Lindblad

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Seeing as there are so many SSDs out in the wild I can understand the difficulty of testing them all. We probably plan on testing 1 first just to confirm our settings. Will report any findings in case anyone else is on the same boat.

Thank you for the help and insight!

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 11:27 pm

The SanDisk Extreme Pro used MLC NAND flash memory, whereas the Ultra 3D uses 3D TLC NAND flash memory. The Extreme Pro also uses a different I/O controller than the Ultra 3D (the controller used sometimes causes compatibility or performance differences depending on the application). So since the internals are quite a bit different, I wouldn't necessarily assume that the performance between the two drives will be equivalent in all situations.

Having said that, I would expect the SanDisk Ultra 3D drives to be plenty fast enough for 1080p60 or even 4K30 ProRes recording. The Atomos drive tests for their recorders indicate that the SanDisk Ultra II is capable of doing 4K60 ProRes HQ recording and the Ultra 3D is supposed to be better performing than the Ultra II.

So I wouldn't anticipate any problems, but please to report back if you are able to test it out.

Asgeir Hustad

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Very pleased with Kingston SSDNow V300/KC300 240GB Models - I have had four of these running in different setups. Not one hiccup, performs very well. Of course, I record ProRes HQ at the most, so it's not really stressing on max throughput, just consistency.

They can be had very cheaply these days, as they are discontinued from the manufacturer. I might buy a few sets of these again, actually, they go for £35 on eBay.

Return to Live Production