4k playback on Hyperdeck Studio Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ChrisDillingham

4k playback on Hyperdeck Studio Pro

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm trying to test the playback of 4k content onto our LED screens, but I cannot get the Hyperdeck Studio Pro to recognize any of the 4k formats I've tried. It does see the Prores 1080 content I've exported from premiere, but not the 4k files. Among the things I've checked and tried, in various combinations:

- exporting quicktime uncompressed (as every available flavor of 8-bit RGB and 10bit YUV), Prores 422, prores 422 LT, and DNxHD OP1a
- Using the native Mxf file
- changing its native resolution to 3840 x 2160. (original was a touch larger - 4096 by something)
- Trying every available and matching codec setting in the Hyperdeck set up software.

It's able to find and play the 1080 content on the same disk, but appears not to recognize any of the other files. I'd love to try to capture 4k into it and use that as a template for a preset, but if I had a 4k source, I wouldn't need the Hyperdeck for playback.

I've also toyed with the output settings, (2160 single 6g SDI out, etc,) but since the video is not appearing on my preview monitor at all, I suspect this is moot.

The manual seems to suggest that the codecs I've selected will work, but still no dice.

Has anyone had success with this, and what am I missing?

Jo Hermann

Re: 4k playback on Hyperdeck Studio Pro

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 2:56 pm

Hyperdeck Studio Pro can only go up to 2160/p30 - I guess your files are not at a higher frame rate?
filter Media GmbH & Co. - Postproduction
Salzburg/Austria

ChrisDillingham

Re: 4k playback on Hyperdeck Studio Pro

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Forgot to mention that part! They're 23.98.

I'm also assuming it doesn't have any problem with multiple types of media on the same drive, since I keep the 1080 content files on there with the tests I've formatted so far.

Any other thoughts?

Return to Live Production