Best Lens for Imag with Studio Cam

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

cburry

Best Lens for Imag with Studio Cam

PostSat Dec 01, 2018 6:18 am

Hey Guys,

I am new here and I am sorry if this has been a topic before. I did do a quick search and didn't see one.

I am wondering what would be the best lens for live production imag at a conference, with the BMD studio cam? The camera will be set on a platform with an operator at about 60 feet from the stage. I am also looking for the ability to control the lens zoom and focus via LANC.

Thanks in advance.

Xtreemtec

Re: Best Lens for Imag with Studio Cam

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 3:57 pm

Well zoom and focus by Lanc will land you in only 3 or 4 lenses capable of doing that.

For the M4/3 mount there are not a lot of options.. See Manual which lenses do support motorised focus and zoom. And also all these lenses are not very light sensitve..

That why a lot of people switch to B4 mounted lenses..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

cburry

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have specified that I am looking for a B4 mounted lens. Any suggestions?

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 9:36 pm

First, you are going to need an expensive, optically corrected, PL to MFT adapter to get the best performance from a B4 lens, and allow you to use it at wider f/stops. MTF Services and AbelCine both make on, available from B&H or direct from the makers. Some used ones come up on eBay. Price is going tp be $1500-2K for just the adapter, then you need a power adapter to the lens, and a third party remote solution, or a ENG B4 Zoom Remote.

This will run the cost up, and you still need a good HD B4 lens for UHD recording. You might want to consider getting a Ursa Broadcast camera, that comes with the B4 Mount and the lens and camera can be controlled from the ATEM, without any adapters. Then your Studio cameras for fixed shots.
That is what I did, instead of trying to adapt to the Micro Broadcast Camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

cburry

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 11:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Denny.
I was thinking about the ursa, but the studio cam took my interest with the viewer screen on board.
In either situation, which b4 lens would you suggest for the camera at 60 ft away from the subjects on stage?

Thanks in advance.

Denny Smith

PostThu Dec 06, 2018 7:07 am

Depends on how much of the stage you are looking to cover. At any rate, at 60-feet, you are going to want a X20 Zoom, and will need a big, solid tripod, as every little camera movement is going to be a big jolt, think rifle effect. I use pCAM to figure these issues out. Nice app for IOS devices.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

cburry

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Thanks. The stage is a 20'x40' with one podium at each end upstage. Looking to pull back for a wide shot of the stage at times and mostly zoom in to each podium for the speakers.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 2:21 am

You could use an angle of view calculator like this to determine what kind of focal length you would need for the shots you are looking for:
https://www.pointsinfocus.com/tools/dep ... calculator

Just select the sensor size of the camera you are using, focal length, and distance to determine how much is included in the field of view at those settings.

For example, with a 2/3 in. sensor at 60 ft from the stage, you should be able to capture a wide shot of the entire stage (40 ft across) with about a 13mm focal length. At the tele end, if you want an upper body shot (about 2.5 ft. vertically), you'd need 160mm focal length to capture this. If you want a tighter shot (just head and shoulders), you'd need a longer focal length (about 230mm).

So you'll probably need a lens that at least spans those focal lengths (13-160mm). Many of the 20x or 22x B4 lenses cover that range. Some lenses also include a built-in 2x extender (teleconverter) that can be used for a little additional reach when needed (although there may be a reduction in quality when the extender is used).

cburry

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks Dave! This is just what I was looking for. Great information.

Return to Live Production