ThunderBolt 2.0 - BlackMagic Production Camera HELP!

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TeaLux

ThunderBolt 2.0 - BlackMagic Production Camera HELP!

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Hello World,

I have been loving my BMPC4k EF camera, I use it actively with my MacBook Pro via thunderbolt 2.0 and DragonFrame for stopmotion animation. However - I am very concerned for the future of my camera - and due to a lack on knowledge I wanted to ask the forum - WHAT DO I DO when my MacBook dies? I currently use a PC for 99% of all my other work - would getting a Deck Link Capture Card be the best bet and use the SDI out via BNC to capture my feed in my software? Is that all I need or is there more? Additionally - can Thunderbolt 2.0 be adapted to Thunderbolt3 (USB-C) and use in the same manner on my PC (win10) as it is being used on my Mac (Via tb2) ?? I guess I just need guidance - my fear is that my Mac will perish and since I cant seem to interface my camera the same way on my PC as on my Mac I worry that I will be SOL when the inevitable happens... I know that DragonFrame supports the thunderbolt feed - advice - please!

I guess the same work flow can be relatable to streamers - but I need the cleanest and highest quality feed to do still frame captures in the program - not recording live video - I know there are about 3-4 different cards out there so just to clarify - I guess the bonus of being able to capture as well would be nice for future opportunities...

and lastly - what drivers do I need on my PC to recognize the production camera 4k in software - the support section for drivers has me puzzled all the time and I feel like I've over installed drivers and camera setups and things that I cant even use any way because of a lacking on my part probably

Thanks Blackmagic world ! I do so love your equipment I am not ready to get a usb-c camera just yet - but if I do - you bet it will be Blackmagic ; )
A
Alex

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: ThunderBolt 2.0 - BlackMagic Production Camera HELP!

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 1:12 am

Most Thunderbolt 2 devices can be used with a Thunderbolt 3 capable computer using a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. The one exception is devices that are powered through the Thunderbolt port, these don't always work through an adapter since many of the adapters just pass data (and do not provide power, in part because the Thunderbolt 2 & 3 power specs are different).

But most devices that have their own power source should work with the adapter.

Keep in mind that Thunderbolt 3 is different from USB-C. They both share the same connector, but the bandwidth specifications are different (Thunderbolt 3 supports up to 40 Gbps compared to 10 Gbps for USB-C). So the port has to be specifically be a Thunderbolt 3 port to work with a Thunderbolt 2 adapter (a regular USB-C port will not work).

TeaLux

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 2:57 am

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Most Thunderbolt 2 devices can be used with a Thunderbolt 3 capable computer using a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. The one exception is devices that are powered through the Thunderbolt port, these don't always work through an adapter since many of the adapters just pass data (and do not provide power, in part because the Thunderbolt 2 & 3 power specs are different).

But most devices that have their own power source should work with the adapter.

Keep in mind that Thunderbolt 3 is different from USB-C. They both share the same connector, but the bandwidth specifications are different (Thunderbolt 3 supports up to 40 Gbps compared to 10 Gbps for USB-C). So the port has to be specifically be a Thunderbolt 3 port to work with a Thunderbolt 2 adapter (a regular USB-C port will not work).

THANK YOU!!! finally - some specification on the cabling - i understand you perfectly - however BlackMagic support mentioned to me that they do not recommend using adaptors - that the studio and decklink option is better preferred. Any recommendations to a PCIE card for thunderbolt 3 or a capture card for the SDI 4k out on my Black Magic Production Cam?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 10:59 pm

In terms of a capture card, the DeckLink Mini Recorder 4K has a 6G SDI input that should work with the Production Camera 4K SDI video output.

I don't have much experience with PCIe Thunderbolt 3 cards, most of my usage of Thunderbolt 3 has been with laptops or desktops that had a Thunderbolt 3 port built into the motherboard. And while I haven't captured from the Production Camera's Thunderbolt output, I have used the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter to capture from other Blackmagic Thunderbolt 2 devices such as the UltraStudio units.

Return to Live Production