Media Express-UltraStudio Mini Recorder

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TimLongerName

Media Express-UltraStudio Mini Recorder

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm sorry if this is already a topic but I couldn't find the answer I was Looking for.

I use Media Express to record video of lecture type sessions and use an UltraStudio Mini Recorder using SDI to Thunderbolt into my Mac Pro, and the issue I have is that after about 45 min. to an hour I get a file the size of 300GB! I was able to get it down to about 40GB by switching the capture file to QT ProRes 422LT But it is still a massive file that makes it very hard to transfer around quickly.

From what I gathered online Media Express is capable of recording as mp4 but it is dependant upon what device you are using?

So my question is: What device/software can I use in order to be able to record smaller file formats?

Right now my solution is to import the video file into Final Cut Pro and export it as an mp4 but it still comes out to be about 8-12GB after compression.

Andrew Martin

Re: Media Express-UltraStudio Mini Recorder

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 8:44 pm

I think ( if I remember correctly, I've not used Med. Expr. for a long time ) ME can record in Mjpeg, which might help with file sizes. Your other options are using 3rd party software like OBS, vMix, wirecast etc. which can record with compressed codecs like MP4 to futhur reduce file sizes.

Dave Toole

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 11:44 pm

Some BM devices (e.g. H.264 Pro Recorder) have on-board H264 encoding when you record through Media Express. That's probably what you are talking about.

While there are a number of solution, the easy one that comes to my mind is using the very free, open-source OBS (Open Broadcaster Software). It's an app that's meant for streaming (very big with those who stream from homes, especially in the gaming realm), but you can use it to record to mp4 as well. It uses the outstanding x264 codec, and you can set your own bitrates, resolution, and other settings to best fit your needs. Then if you ever need to stream your feed, you are set!

Note it uses your CPU to encode and will use more CPU than recording to Pro-Res.

Just Google it. Not sure if posting links to products like that are allowed here. :)

TimLongerName

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks

Return to Live Production