Teranex Mini IP Video & Camera Metadata

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Rey Kroona

Teranex Mini IP Video & Camera Metadata

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking about using the Teranex Mini IP to buildout a IP "video snake" to use between a high school amphitheater and a classroom we'll use as a control room. We are a church so we are trying to minimize setup time/complications as much as possible.

We use URSA Broadcast cameras and an ATEM Television switch and utilize the SDI metadata for the CCU/Tally/talkback.

Does anyone know if we use the Teranex Mini IPs if the metadata from the Atem will transfer ok to the cameras? I see it says the metadata supports SMPTE 352M but I couldn't find which SDI protocols support that and I was starting to get confused.

Thanks for any help-

Rey

MambaFiber.com

Re: Teranex Mini IP Video & Camera Metadata

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 12:17 am

not sure if the TICO compression used in the 12G IP thing will pass the SDI ancillary data. this is a problem with all of the RF devices and the compression that they are using. TICO should pass talkback audio though. Perhaps Gary or someone from BMD will chime in on this...

That problem aside, how many channels of "snake" are you looking at? At $1,000/channel + switches + PTP clock there are probably better/cheaper ways to accomplish this...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Rey Kroona

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 12:52 am

Thanks for your input,
At the minimum it will be 3 transmitting and 1 receiving. But it might end up being up to 6 transmit and 2 receive.

I've looked into fiber a bit too, which seems like it would be probably a better solution. We'd have to run a line and I'm not sure if the school will let us do that in their existing conduit yet, so I was hoping the existing Cat6 might work.

There are existing copper BNC patches, so if it ends up being too much we can just use those, but we are trying to make it easy for volunteers with limited experience to be able to setup quickly.

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 2:41 am

another consideration for you is bandwidth. a single Cat6 running gigabit will only get you a 2x2 1080i over BMD IP, and only 1x1 @1080p. 4K video requires a 10G network, which requires fiber anyway.

i still think fiber will be your best bet, but hey i'm very biased when it comes to fiber :mrgreen: once in place, fiber opens up a lot more than just video. Audio and coms are just as important as cameras...

you'd have to check your local wiring codes, but some places allow fiber out of conduit-esp if considered a "temporary" installation.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Jack Fairley

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 3:49 am

I don't think this is a good use case for IP video. It requires networking skills that probably nobody in your congregation has, and expensive gear to support it.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Hello Rey. The Teranex Mini IP Video will pass all ATEM Tally, CCU and Talkback metadata as it was designed for this purpose. I cannot speak for other compression schemes as they mostly do not handle metadata very well unless specifically designed to not compress that area of the SDI.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

MambaFiber.com

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks Gary, good to know!
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Xtreemtec

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Yeah my best bet was Fiber too. As mamba fiber already said. Fiber in CWDM configuration will give you theoretically 18 channels of data, sdi, ethernet, etc etc bi-directional over a 2 core fiber. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Rey Kroona

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks Gary & everyone else! Helpful info. I think we are going to stick with copper SDI for now and if we decide the setup is still too complicated look into fiber instead.

Return to Live Production