Prores export now supported in the PC world

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dpictMEDIA

Prores export now supported in the PC world

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 1:50 pm

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-pro-vid ... x4vU2xm7vc

If anyone has the time to figure out if we can now do alpha channel bugs and stingers off hyperdecks please let us know... I have a feeling this will be possible but will not have time to play with it till later next week.
Aric Mackey

Arnaud Damian

Re: Prores export now supported in the PC world

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 7:54 am

I confirm.

This is working great!

At last, we can put full infographics on one and only one Hyperdeck Mini Studio.
Untill now, we would use 2 sets of Hyperdeck Minis for each of our infographics setups and would export the fill on one device and the key on the other. The workflow was cumbersome and the results uneven (due to a slight problem of keeping the two players perfectly in sync - problem arised with the new firmware update).

We tried to export ProRes 4444 from AFTER EFFECTS and the result was very effective on the very first try, thanks to our expertise manipulating files and format with these devices. As expected, the SDI-A output provides the Fill image and the SDI-B output the key. Very nice, neat, and easy to use. At last !
Thanks Adobe for resolving this ProRes Windows Encoding non-sense !

Is the limitation of 4 hyperdecks controled by the ATEM software/harware could be expended to more units ?
We're very fond to use Hyperdecks Minis as media player with autocue and sometimes using only 4 is sometime very limiting.

dpictMEDIA

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 1:54 pm

And if i'm correct you must be doing a show in progressive not interlaced? I just tried this with the hyperdeck mini and was reminded of the lack of interlaced playback. Caution to those who are thinking they can go out and make this work in a 59.94i world. Or am I incorrect?
Aric Mackey

Arnaud Damian

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Well sorry to say this but... you're incorrect... ;)

Everything in our production chain is running in the 1080 50i resolution (as per Europe/France HD Broadcast Standards).
Every media put on the Hyperdeck Mini Studio are also HD interlaced (even before we could export Prores files).

Just check if you're running the right codec on your Hyperdeck Mini Studio. If you want to play 4444 Prores files (in order to get the fill and key on the same deck throught both SDI out) you've got to select the higher Prores codec on your device.

Maybe you're mistaken by the fact the same Hyperdeck Mini Studios are not (yet ?) capable of recording H.264 in interlaced. If we want to record in H.264, our solution was to put a frame converter (50i -> 25P) just prior the Hyperdeck Studio Mini. Very easy solution.

Or maybe we're just extremly lucky and this is only working in 1080 50i mode.

dpictMEDIA

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Yes I have been incorrect on many things already today, I'm getting a blank here. Exporting from AE in Prores 4444 plus alpha - 59.94 trying upper and lower fields for render. The hyperdeck mini will still only see a 1080P file. Im missing something in this workflow. I've recorded content on the mini and that shows up correctly as 1080i . Anyone have suggestions on something I'm missing in AE? Testing this with a simple box moving around with a transparent background. thanks
Aric Mackey

Arnaud Damian

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 4:44 pm

We had to do a lot of trials and multiple errors to get the things right I'm order to use these decks correctly.

First, your AE composition should be in 29.97 and not in 59.94.
You have to export a 29.97 frames per second file with an upper field first order. Then choose ProRes 4444 RGB + alpha premultiplied. Just check the prores is 1080i 29.97 in the format settings options in the AE render queue.
Then on you deck, just check you've selected the right codec. It must be the higher ProRes Codec.
On the deck Out A is fill. Out B is key. If everything is in order you should view the key and the full on your multi view. Voilà !

dpictMEDIA

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Ok, I'm on it... just was about to try something other than 29.97 - like you this is my 25th render.... tx
Aric Mackey

dpictMEDIA

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 5:05 pm

THAT WAS IT! thanks for coaching me through that. I know its late in your time zone but please go get a drink and send the bill to me.... much appreciated e
Aric Mackey

dpictMEDIA

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Perfect Arnaud, The only thing I can add is that 16bit looks bad. Exporting as 8bit with alpha is perfect. Again, many thanks.
Aric Mackey

Arnaud Damian

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Super glad it finally worked for you ! Cheers !!! 8-)

BMD Hyperdeck Studio Mini are great devices and I'm a bit suprised that most of the feedbacks made here are mostly based on the recording functions.
We're using 7 of these both as players and recorders (but primarly as players).

Triggering graphics either with Upstream or Downstream transitions is awesome and it has reached now a new level for our use with the ProRes support in Windows/Adobe.

pmcdonald

PostWed May 08, 2019 11:20 pm

Anyone experiencing any alpha channel weirdness using Prores 4444? I have a transition animation which involves two circular alpha wipes. The file previews fine in Premiere and After Effects with the correct alpha. Once in the Hyperdeck it displays the alpha channel as a square wipe. Any ideas what's going wrong?

Arnaud Damian

PostThu May 09, 2019 10:11 pm

On a similar subject (weirdness on the alpha channel that is), we have experienced a lag effect on the animation through the hyperdeck.
Separately both key and fill play fine. But once they are played together (SDI A + SDI B) via KEY effect, the result shows some lag and weird behavior indeed... As if the hyperdeck couldn't keep up with playing both key and fill at sync.

Return to Live Production