Adding markers with Hyperdeck studio

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alexander Kinov

Adding markers with Hyperdeck studio

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi all. I saw some old (similar) posts, but there wasn't answer, so I posted new one.

Is there any way to add markers in the recorded video with Hyperdeck Studio?

I haven't seen such feature in the manual (or I just missed it), so I need advice.

I'll be recording live event in few days. The producer wants certain parts of the event edited and rendered as separate files right after the event. This has to be done quickly, but finding these parts in the long video will take time, so I was thinking to find a way to mark the parts I need, while recording, and later to see those marked parts, when I open the file for editing in Adobe Premiere.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

I have one idea. It should work in theory, but it's also a bit stupid and I don't want to risk it (and I'm not sure I'll have time to test it before the event). But still, I want to hear your opinion on it. If there is no other option, I may try it in the future.

So, I'm doing stereo sound on my videos, and the sound is recorded on channels 1-2. The rest of the embedded 16 audio channels are empty. I'm using ATEM switcher and Hyperdeck Studio recorder. There are different audio sources going to the ATEM (mics from few of the cameras, audio mixer plugged in the XLR inputs and also computer with VMIX software and Decklink card. Usually I don't play any sound from the VMIX, mostly visual content.
I'm thinking this - I can set some short audio event in the VMIX (like click, or other short audio signal). If I send it out of the VMIX and out of the decklink card, it will go into the ATEM (As far as I enable the audio, coming on that input, using ATEM's audio mixer). This audio click signal, will be mixed with all the other audio in my production and of course it is going to be a problem. But VMIX have settings, that I can choose the channels if the audio output is set to SDI output. The default is channel 1-2. But what If I set this audio signal to go to the same SDI output, but on audio channels 15-16?
Not sure if I explain it right, English is not my native language, so here is example.
I'm sending music video from vmix to ATEM. It goes out from SDI output and goes into SDI input. It means I have 16 embedded audio channels, right? So, if I send click along with music, but the click is on separate channel (15-16) it won't be heard on the music, but it will be recorded on separate audio channel in the Hyperdeck? Will this work? And does ATEM receive 16 audio channels and send them the same way or mix them all on 2 channels? Cause I only worker with camera mics and audio mixer (on XLR inputs) so far and usually all the sounds are recorded on channel 1-2. If I can set the audio click from vmix to be send through the ATEM and recorded on channel 15-16 in the HyperDeck,, then I have solution. Every time I need marker, I can play this audio click in VMIX - it will be recorded separately, I will see it when I open the recorded file for editing, but the click won't be mixed to the main audio mix.
Opinions?

Xtreemtec

Re: Adding markers with Hyperdeck studio

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Well recording the click on a seperate audio track could work..

Peronally i would do it differently. I would run it all on timecode. But to do so your Atem should be able to take timecode. Atem 1Me 4K has a free run from start timecode.. And the Atem 2Me / 4ME can get timecode inserted into there timecode input.

Based on our 4ME Atem setup:
Get the Deneke Timecode generator app for iPad.
Hook the audio output up to the timecode of the atem. This way the Atem will run and embed realtime. All recordings from the Atem will have this time embedded into..

Then also put this same Timecode audio into an audiorecorder(Timecode left, Punch right) or EDL timecode tool.. And punch the points there.. After recording sync the 2 layers in your edit tool. (premiere, resolve, etc will sync timecode sources together) And there are your cut points..

EDL logger>> https://www.softron.tv/products/multicam-logger

OR.. just tested this for you.. Rent a Atomos Shogun Inferno or Sumo as recorder. You can live tap flags and these are saved as XML file on the drive.
Resulting in a XML file with some edit decisions in it.
Code: Select all
<clip name="PODIUM_S013_S001_T001" start="0/6000s" format="r21" duration="204600/6000s" tcFormat="NDF">
        <video ref="r3820350695" offset="0/6000s" start="0/6000s" duration="204600/6000s">
          <audio lane="-1" ref="r3820350695" offset="0/48000s" start="0/48000s" duration="1636800/48000s" srcCh="1, 2" />
          <audio lane="-2" ref="r3820350695" offset="0/48000s" start="0/48000s" duration="1636800/48000s" srcCh="3, 4" />
        </video>
        <keyword start="19500/6000s" duration="20200/6000s" value="Close Up" />
        <keyword start="67800/6000s" duration="16200/6000s" value="Cut Away" />
        <keyword start="85200/6000s" duration="4100/6000s" value="Cut Away" />
        <keyword start="123500/6000s" duration="6800/6000s" value="Talent 1" />
        <keyword start="131600/6000s" duration="9800/6000s" value="Talent 2" />
        <keyword start="186100/6000s" duration="4700/6000s" value="Bad Audio" />
        <keyword start="196300/6000s" duration="8400/6000s" value="Bad Audio" />
      </clip>
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Alexander Kinov

Re: Adding markers with Hyperdeck studio

PostThu Dec 13, 2018 7:17 am

Thanks! Your idea seems good, but it will need some time for testing and some additional gear/apps I don't have. But you gave me good idea for something similar, but more simple (and not so precise, which is not a problem).

I'll just record the whole audio footage on separate analog audio recorder, which allows me to add markers. Then I will open the recorded audio along with the recorded video (from the HyperDeck). Approximate syncing of both files will be good enough, since I'm not going to use the separate audio recording. The separate audio recording (its markers) will only show me the approximate location of the marked parts of the video, which will be good enough for me.

Return to Live Production