Cabling Question

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Paul Burke

Cabling Question

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Talk about new! I am making all of the patch connections between equipment and thinking... are HD-SDI cables at 3G/6G sufficient to push 12G equipment and do I have to make these, or can they be purchased in the short lengths necessary (6"-2'). I'm sure I will have more as I move to configure the equipment (2 M/E Prod. Studio, Hyperdeck, Dup.4K, Adv. Panel...) Thanks!

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

Re: Cabling Question

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 10:07 pm

It's all up to length. Short distances and you should be fine using good cables.
I would suggest that you learn how to do the cables yourself. You will save money and especially you will get them in the length you need. It will cost more initially but worth it in the long run.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

Paul Burke

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks, We would likely make our own cables given that I have an electrical engineer who worked in the Home and business A/V world for 30 years and he certainly can do that. It's time consuming tho...

Secondly, there is the challenge of properly connecting the ATEM 2 ME Prod. Studio, the HyperDeck, the Duplicator 4K and the UltraStudio up and insuring it is all correct. The documentation is a bit thin on that side so we are looking at suggestions. Will probably call BMD and speak with an engineer. I appreciate your response.

Paul

roger.suski

PostMon Dec 17, 2018 11:58 pm

Yes, certainly have your guy make all of the cables to length. This will be a much neater install than taking premade ones and having them snake around to take up the extra unneeded length.

Others can correct me here, but as long as you are doing a small install, you should be good to support 12G through Belden 1855 or equiv which will also make your install more manageable. This cable requires different crimp-ends as well as different die -- so make sure you've got that covered before you get started.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 12:35 am

Interesting topic with a lot about cabling.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54287&p=312180
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production