4k/UHD over SMPTE

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mbriley

4k/UHD over SMPTE

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 5:41 pm

I'm planning out an upgrade to my church's video and broadcast setup and am looking to future-proof (as much as possible) the changes that we make. We currently stream at 720p and record at 1080p, but I'd like us to be able to record (and maybe even one day stream) in 4k/UHD. In keeping things as simple as possible, I'd prefer to use the Blackmagic Fiber Converters and SMPTE cables to send power, tally, video, timecode, etc. back and forth from our Blackmagic URSA Broadcast cameras (that we don't have yet). I know that the Fiber Converters support 4k/UHD, but one thing I haven't been able to confirm is if the SMPTE 311M cables can support 4k/UHD video transmission.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Xtreemtec

Re: 4k/UHD over SMPTE

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 pm

If that fiber connector does match the Fiber converters for BMD. It will do 20K or whatever..
Fiber has the ability to do so much more.. It is up to the device on the end of the fiber to use all "optical bandwidth".. ;)

BMD WEBSITE wrote:Blackmagic fiber converters work with standard SMPTE 311M hybrid electrical and fiber optic cables with standard SMPTE 304 connectors on each end. These cables feature a 2 way fiber pair, data pair and power pair, along with a central strength member that gives it the needed durability for continuous use. Once plugged in, the Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter automatically performs safety checks and then powers up, sending an industry standard 200 volts of power over the SMPTE cable for the camera and accessories.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

pederdingo

Re: 4k/UHD over SMPTE

PostTue Dec 18, 2018 11:36 pm

One thing to note with UHD on the Ursa (maybe this is only my experience, but all my 4 cameras does it):
I've had problems with UHD on the Ursa Broadcast from the day I got them.
There was lots of fallouts in the image.

I was cleaning and cleaning and cleaning the fiber cables to no avail. Then I had a project that required UHD and even though I cleaned the fibers and checked with a microscope I still had the fallouts.
Then I remembered I met a representative from BM showing off the Ursa Broadcast, and he used different BNCs between the SDI out on the camera and the SDI in on the Camera Fiber Converter. The return SDI and the genlock was the stock BNCs from BM.
So as a last resort I tried changing the BNC cable to a regular 1855A cable (about 2 meters) and the problems were gone! No more fallouts.

I don't know if anyone else has this experience, but keep it in mind if you want to go UHD 12G.

Return to Live Production