Component to HDMI conversion

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Linden deCarmo

Component to HDMI conversion

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 8:54 pm

I need to convert from Component (both SD and 720p/1080i) to HDMI. I believe this could be done with a BlackMagic analog to SDI mini converter and then a Decimator to convert from SDI to HDMI. Is there a single device that could do this or a different solution to the conversion?

Xtreemtec

Re: Component to HDMI conversion

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 9:54 pm

From other brands there is. From BMD from analog component SD will give you SD-SDi. 1080I component will give you HD-SDI 1080i. So if you need an exact type of output resolution you need to scale too. So decimator or BMD UDC HD (Up Down Cross)

Or google for Atomos Connect Analog to SDI/HDMI ( i have a few of the same model from the original manufacturer. *Atomos does not make these.. Just OEM. And they work great. )
Connect Convert Scale
Analog to SDI/HDMI

Connect Composite/S-Video, analogue DVI and component video sources to SDI and HDMI devices, with resolution and frame scaling from SD up to HD 1080p60.

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Linden deCarmo

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Or google for Atomos Connect Analog to SDI/HDMI ( i have a few of the same model from the original manufacturer. *Atomos does not make these.. Just OEM. And they work great. )

Thanks for the pointer! Much appreciated. Looks like the Atomos ATOMCCNAS1 will do exactly what I want, just a little pricey but it does prevent me from having to daisy chain the Decimator & MB Mini converter and the price is comparable to the two of those converters together.

Happy holidays BTW.

Linden deCarmo

PostWed Jan 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Or google for Atomos Connect Analog to SDI/HDMI

I got this unit and am very happy with it so far. Thank you.

Only one issue. I can't get passthrough to work unless its hooked up to a computer via USB. There are jumpers for every output resolution but no jumper for passthrough. If I set passthrough via USB, it doesn't seem to have any effect when no device is connected to the USB port.

Any ideas of how to get it to default to passthrough?

Thanks.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Passtrough of what? Input == output without scaling you mean?

Do you have dipswitch 1,2,3 all set to 0?

Did you hit Apply in the software?
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Linden deCarmo

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 3:24 am

Xtreemtec wrote:Passtrough of what? Input == output without scaling you mean?

Yes, that's what I meant

Xtreemtec wrote:Did you hit Apply in the software?

I did forget to hit apply. Thanks for that info.

I experimented some more. Looks like 480p isn't passed through. 720p and 1080i pass through fine. 480p gets upconverted to 720p regardless of the setting. However, I can live w/this if 720p and 1080i pass through without alteration.

Robert Baker

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 11:50 pm

I can't tell if the Atomos ConnectConvertScale comes with the cable you need or you have to buy them seperately. If it does not come with the cables would I need component to bnc to be able to use connect on an older DVD player or VCR for conversion to SDI?
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Linden deCarmo

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 1:07 am

Robert Baker wrote:I can't tell if the Atomos ConnectConvertScale comes with the cable you need or you have to buy them seperately. If it does not come with the cables would I need component to bnc to be able to use connect on an older DVD player or VCR for conversion to SDI?

I had to purchase RCA to BNC converters (got them from monoprice).

Robert Baker

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 5:55 am

Linden deCarmo wrote:I had to purchase RCA to BNC converters (got them from monoprice).

Thanks!
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Robert Baker wrote: If it does not come with the cables would I need component to bnc to be able to use connect on an older DVD player or VCR for conversion to SDI?

For VCR's you need a TBC TibeBaseCorrector in between as VCRs have no steady sync pulse. Keep this in mind ;)

Search for TBC on the forum for more information.

Landlord

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 3:27 pm

So decimator or BMD UDC HD (Up Down Cross)

Or google for Atomos Connect Analog to SDI/HDMI ( i have a few of the same model from the original manufacturer. *Atomos does not make these.. Just OEM. And they work great. )
Connect Convert Scale
Analog to SDI/HDMI

Connect Composite/S-Video, analogue DVI and component video sources to SDI and HDMI devices, with resolution and frame scaling from SD up to HD 1080p60.

Image[/quote]

Which one is the best to convert s-video to hdmi in combination with an Atomos Ninja Flame. (1080p)

Return to Live Production