Using Micro Converters

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

michaelqck

Using Micro Converters

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 2:52 pm

I need to connect 3 projectors to a PC that has an HDMI output. There are some long distances involved so I would like to use SDI for the long runs. I would also like to connect the PC to our ATEM. I have a 3G HDMI to SDI Mini Converter. I would need to purchase 3 SDI to HDMI Micro Converters. I would use the USB ports in the projectors to power the Micro Converters. I have attached a crude diagram of what I would like to do. I think it will work but would like to confirm it. Thanks for any feedback.

blackmagic micro converters.jpg
Church Projector Connectivity
blackmagic micro converters.jpg (674.11 KiB) Viewed 342 times

Xtreemtec

Re: Using Micro Converters

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 4:04 pm

Yes this will work. IF:
- Your cable lengths between converters are not too big. ( Taking in account that you use proper SDI cable)
- The beamer will power the USB. (And not complain about it.. Epson beamers do complain about not supported USB device connected message in screen)
- The resolution and framerate from the PC matches those from the Atem. (otherwise you will need to change all resolutions or use a UpDownCross between to get it into the Atem.
- Do not forget that if 1 of the beamers in between is off. The others in the chain will not get an SDI signal. The Loop out is an Active loop. So it needs power to work.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 1M/E 4K, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio Mini, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Andrew Martin

Re: Using Micro Converters

PostTue Jan 08, 2019 9:20 pm

If you were too swap out the Mini converter for a Decimator MD-HX you could have a pass through for ur projector chain and a scalable out for the Atem. Using either SDI or HDMI you'll be able to scale the Atem feed to ur wanted Res and frame rate.

Sent from my E8QP using Tapatalk

Return to Live Production