Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K and lenses

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

RRalota

Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K and lenses

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Good morning all,

We're going to be getting 1 of the BMD Studio Camera 4K, for a smallish studio, and was wondering what would be a good lens to use for manual zoom / focus. (as opposed to remote Z/F via atem 2 m/e broadcast panel)

We understand that the BMD cameras need lots of light, so the studio will have manually controlled lighting. I've seen the list of lenses that are compatible with the Micro Studio 4k (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/59009), but we may need something to use in front of a GS, so the BG and FG would need to be in focus.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Denny Smith

Re: Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K and lenses

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 6:04 pm

First, any good MFT mount zoom wil, work, the better ones being the Olympus Pro Zooms, and the Panasonic Leica zooms. The issue is the Studio Camera 4K has a 1-inch screen, so 18mm is your normal AOV focal length. So getting a zoom range from a wide to long shot is more challenging. I think the new Tokina 11-20mm lens is a good choice for a wide to normal zoom, and then get a 12-60/100 for the other end.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

RRalota

Re: Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K and lenses

PostThu Jan 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Sounds good.

Thank you for the info. Will have to research those lenses in my area to see if I can get a tester.

From my understanding, the Studio Camera (with the screen) will be used as a "in studio mobile camera", so the shot may only be withing 10-20ft (between camera and the talent)

Return to Live Production