HyperDeck Shuttle playback interlacing

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

joshmsmith

HyperDeck Shuttle playback interlacing

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 3:47 pm

I run production at a growing church, where we include a video time-delay service. Currently, our setup is that we run the first service in our main auditorium, and record a locked-down shot to a HyperDeck Shuttle, which is played back about an hour later as a life-size projection in another room.

For playback, we dock the SSD over eSATA to a Mac Pro running Pro Presenter, inserting the clip into the playlist. However, there is horrible interlacing on playback this way. When we directly connect the HyperDeck to the projector over SDI, the interlacing goes away, but we lose the ability to set in/out points for the clip. If we were to go to a HyperDeck Studio and record as Apple ProRes, would that alleviate the issue (since it would be a native codec, rather than Avid's third-party one)? Or is there a better way?

Joshua Helling

Blackmagic Design

Re: HyperDeck Shuttle playback interlacing

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm unsure. I guess that depends on what Pro Presenter is doing to the clips and how it's outputting them. There are a lot of extra variables in there.

• Is ProPresenter converting the files?
  • Is it simply because the codec isn't native? What codec are you using? Uncompressed?
  • What format are you using? If you are using progressive maybe it's being converted to interlaced through ProPresenter but when played directly from the Hyperdeck there is no processing.
  • When using ProPresenter how are you connected to the Projector?

Answer to those might help in figuring out what is going on.
Joshua Helling

Director of World Wide Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

joshmsmith

Re: HyperDeck Shuttle playback interlacing

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Joshua Helling wrote:I'm unsure. I guess that depends on what Pro Presenter is doing to the clips and how it's outputting them. There are a lot of extra variables in there.

• Is ProPresenter converting the files?
  • Is it simply because the codec isn't native? What codec are you using? Uncompressed?
  • What format are you using? If you are using progressive maybe it's being converted to interlaced through ProPresenter but when played directly from the Hyperdeck there is no processing.
  • When using ProPresenter how are you connected to the Projector?

• Answer to those might help in figuring out what is going on.
  • ProPresenter is not converting the file, just playing back (using the 3rd party DNxHD codec)
  • I'm guessing that it is due to the codec not being native. We are currently using DNxHD (we run about hour-long clips, so uncompressed is not only out of the question for storage space, but it also doesn't like to play back in real time on our machines)
  • We are recording 59.94 1080i (using an aux from our ATEM 2M/E)
  • The projector is connected over SDI from a DeckLink Studio (direct hardware output with ProPresenter's SDI module)

• Also worth noting: We tried taking one of our clips and transcoding it to Prores, and it played with no issues. On a normal Sunday morning, we only have about a 10 minute window to move the file across the building, so there isn't time to transcode the file every week.

I'm also not sure that "interlacing" is really the right word for what we're experiencing. It's much wider than just every other line. Next time I'm in the building, I'll try to shoot a clip of what we see.

Return to Live Production