Trying to live stream with a Canon EOS C100 video camera

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ben2013

PostTue May 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Hi, I'm very new to live streaming and have been having some problems getting it set up. I'm hoping to live stream through Google Hangout on Air, but haven't been able to live stream through anything at this point.

The equipment I am using is:

-A Canon EOS C100 with HDMI out
-A Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt with HDMI in and Thunderbolt cable out
-A 13-inch Early 2011 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt cable in
-Audio cable connecting the video camera to the Shuttle

I've been using Flash Media Live Encoder to try to get the camera live stream setup. The Blackmagic settings do show up in Flash Media Live Encoder but I can't get the picture to show up. (The picture does show up in FMLE if I use the Mac's built-in FaceTime HD Camera).

So, does anyone know how I can get the picture from the Canon C100 video camera to show up? There are quite a few Blackmagic settings, and I've tried each with no success. Any and all help with this matter is greatly appreciated.

Allen Freeman

Re: Trying to live stream with a Canon EOS C100 video camera

PostWed May 29, 2013 12:09 am

What resolution is the C100 set to?

Also, why are you using a separate audio cable from the camera to the converter? Isn't the audio embedded in the HDMI / SDI signal?
~~
Allen Freeman
Penn's Hill Media
www.pennshill.com

Chad

PostWed May 29, 2013 1:54 am

Blackmagic devices are very particular about resolution and framerate. Also note that the "recording" format of the camera (to tape/card) won't necessarily be the same format as is being put out on the HDMI cable. For example on my camera even if I set the capture format to 1080p24 it still puts out 1080i60 out the HDMI port.

Also in the case of FMLE if the signal is in an interlaced format, you'll want to select the frame rate that's exactly half. For example 1080i59.94 shows up as 1920x1080 29.97 in my FMLE.

Ben2013

PostWed May 29, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks for the replies.

-I currently have the resolution set to 24 Mbps LPCM, which outputs 1920x1080. I usually set the frame rate to PF30 but I didn't see any 30fps options within FMLE so I changed it to 60i (which seems too high for what I need, 30 would be better). System frequency is set to 59.94 Hz, not sure if that matters or not.

I did just try changing the frame rate in the camera to 24fps and then tried the 1080p24fps settings in Blackmagic, still got black video.

I also just tried lowering the system frequency to 50Hz and the bitrate to 7 Mbps, still no video showing up on FMLE.

-Since I've never really used HDMI out from the video camera, I wasn't sure if I needed the audio cable as well. I just unplugged it from the camera and Shuttle Thunderbolt.

-Chad, do you have a preferred resolution and frame rate you use? Maybe you could take a screenshot of your FMLE window?

thanks again for the help, hopefully I'll be able to figure this out soon.

Chad

PostWed May 29, 2013 9:58 pm

I use 1080i59.94 my the cameras / video switcher and 1920x1080 29.97 as the input format in FMLE. The stream though is 855x480. Note that 59.94i (aka 60i) really is only 29.97 frames per second due to interlacing.

Ben2013

PostWed May 29, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm curious if you're also using the Canon EOS C100? And are you using Mac or PC? (Are there differences between the Mac and PC versions of FMLE?)

I don't seem to have the settings you use in either my camera or my FMLE.

On the camera the closest I can get is Bitrate 24Mbps (which gives 1920x1080) and 60i frame rate.

Here are screenshots of my FMLE window

I haven't even attempted to setup the actual stream or server because I figured it'd be better to get the video to show up first. The preview video should show up even if the stream/server isn't set up yet, correct?

Chad

PostThu May 30, 2013 1:24 am

I am on a PC, but my FMLE looks pretty much the same. As for your camera, again, setting it to 24mbps or any other setting has no effect on the HDMI output, ONLY the format written to its internal memory card. The HDMI port is normally going to be 1080i59.94 so choose "Blackmagic HD 1080i 59.95 8 Bit". The rest of your FMLE settings look correct frame rate is 29.97 and input size is 1920x1080. (FWIW I set my audio to 44.1 istead of 22.05, but maybe that's just me).

Allen Freeman

PostThu May 30, 2013 2:16 am

I don't have any hands-on experience with the C100 so am speculating a bit here. but I think the HDMI out on the C100 configures itself independently of the recording settings. I wonder if perhaps the camera is outputting at 1080i and your computer can't handle the HD signal?

On another tack, I always fall back to basics when trouble-shooting. Have you tried connecting the HDMI cable to a monitor to make sure you are actually getting a signal? Can the HDMI output be shut off via the menus on the C100?
~~
Allen Freeman
Penn's Hill Media
www.pennshill.com

Ben2013

PostFri May 31, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks again for the replies, I really do appreciate your help.

-I did connect the C100 to a TV via HDMI and the picture showed up, so I think the HDMI out should be good.

- I set FMLE to "Blackmagic HD 1080i 59.95 8 Bit" and then tried all the bit rate/resolution and frame rate options in the camera. Still couldn't get a preview picture to show up.

At this point I'm wondering if my Mac laptop just isn't good enough to handle the HD video? It seems to work fine with the built in camera, and I'm assuming a simple webcam would probably work fine as well. It's a bummer because I really want to stream the high quality of the C100, but it seems it's just not meant to be...

BerndRac

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 7:21 pm

I had same issue to get a lower setting see if you can change your HDMI output on the camera to 720P ( you can leave the recording to full HD) if so use that and then in FMLE use the 720 50.94 setting and you can change your input to all kind of settings it does not lock you in just one settings

Stephen Sorace

PostThu Oct 23, 2014 11:31 pm

The C100 does not have a 720p setting, or if it does i haven't found it, that is why I clicked on this forum haha. Please let me know if someone found it :)

Mark Hanlen

PostFri Oct 24, 2014 11:31 am

I've had no problem with a Sony z7u showing up with HDMI. If you're seeing it in other programs that means the computer can read it. While you're computer is a bit older it should see it first... It'd be more likely to have a problem with the streaming.

Also are you sure all your software is up to date? What about the firmware on the intensity shuttle. After doing hat Try pulling up your camera in some of the black magic software like Black magic media express. While fmle requires precise settings to get it to work, media express usually shows the image without having to go through a bunch of settings. If you do see it in media express then go into your system preferences , (the gear box) and mess around in the black magic design panel. Black magic stuff is very finicky about having all the software stuff installed and the correct firmware before getting it to work.

I would stick with 1080i right now. Also if you don't have the video rate exact in fmle it will not show up. When I first used it I literally went through every 1080i video setting till I found the right one.

Göran Diffner

PostSun Oct 26, 2014 1:01 pm

The output from fmle can be anything you want. I usually set my output to 1280*720 in fmle, that is if Im not going to broadcast in hd ofcourse. So the input and output settings in fmle can be different from each other.

The internet itself is the bottleneck so I seriously doubt what use we have for 1920*1280 at this point.

The input like others have said here too have to match your cameras output though so thats another story. I believe a tv would tell you what the cam outputs at least my flatscreen tv does.

I have a few broadcasts stored on my youtube channel. They are just tests to find the best settings for live acoustic guitar/music so its a work in progress. So thats why they are like they are lol.

https://m.youtube.com/user/BurninSven1

Im using bmpccs and consumer videocams

Return to Live Production