ATEM Production Studio DVE on Aux

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tingram06

ATEM Production Studio DVE on Aux

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 3:10 pm

In one of our venues, we are using a ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K as our main switcher. We have our side screens running off the Program bus, and a Center screen running off of a Aux. We are a House of Worship and utilize a mixture between lyrics(ProPresenter), and a message stream(dual feed SDI for sides/center)

Here in the future, we are exploring a possible scenario. In one of our venues, we are looking at moving the projector back to project graphics on the upstage wall at the back of the stage. This is the same projector that feeds the message on a drop down screen about 15 foot downstage.

If we project on the upstage wall, this would require us to do a DVE/PIP on the drop down screen. My question is : as we approach this, is it possible to do the DVE on PGM or Aux and have the other not effected?

I believe with DVE being a Upstream Keyer, it would not allow this but want to make sure I'm thinking clearly. Thanks!

Ryan Boni

Re: ATEM Production Studio DVE on Aux

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 4:43 am

Unfortunately, you are thinking clearly. You need another M/E to make that happen. The 2 M/E switcher could do that easily, but not the 1 M/E, as you would switch your show in M/E 1 and then do your DVE in M/E 2 and feed each of those to the screens that you need.

If you were only doing it on a very rare occasion, you could possibly get away with it by hot switching your aux output to match your non-DVE program (or, perhaps even worse, cutting your preview bus to match your program bus - which would have tons of chances for mistakes - and could only be cuts - and feeding the preview to a screen.)
Public Access Director, Peters Twp Comm TV
Freelance TV Broadcast Camera Op (sometimes Dir, TD, EIC, Video)

ATEM M/E 1, 2 & TVS, Studio & Broadcast Cam, Smartscope/view, Cam Conv, Studio Conv, Talkback Conv, Hyperdecks, Videohub 40x40 & MC

RichardJolly

Re: ATEM Production Studio DVE on Aux

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 8:58 am

I use Ryan's technique regularly on an old 1M/E, cutting the record/live stream out on the programme bus, and sending the preview output to projection in the room, cut by a second operator on a second control laptop. Of course you can only do cuts, but by selecting the transition control buttons you could switch the DVE on or off the preview output.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Return to Live Production