Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

diogorusso

Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Hello,

It's my first post here. I search for topics about this same equipment and didn't find anything. If there is one, my excuses.

I've bought this micro converter to use with a Datavideo SE 1200 (supports SD-SDI and HD-SDI). I've been using the SDI to HDMI and the HDMI to SDI (if I don't update de firmware to 7.3.2 :D) micro converters with great sucess.

I've bought this bi-directional converter thinking I would be versatile both in SDI - HDMI or HDMI - SDI conversions, never thinking in using simultaneously.
Regarding the BiDirectional converter, the SDI to HDMI works fine with the outputs of Datavideo Switcher, altough when I try to do the HDMI to SDI it doesn't.
When I substitute this with a Blackmagic micro converter HDMI to SDI in the same path it works (if the firmware version is below 7.2).

Can you explain me why this doesn't work? Is because the output is 3G-SDI? I tried to downgrade the firmware but it isn't possible.

Is any site or book you'd recommend where I can learn realy well about digital video in general (SDI, HDBaseT, etc)?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Xtreemtec

Re: Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Your mixer does not support 3G. only up to HD-SDI which is a maximum of 1080i50.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

diogorusso

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Well thank you Xtreemtec. I supposed that.

In the specifications of the Bidirectional converter it says this:
"SDI Video Outputs
Automatically matches the SD, HD or 3G-SDI HDMI video input."

Which is the same exactly that is written in the unidirecciontal HDMI to SDI micro converter.

I tried with two different PC and tried several resolutions 720p60 and 1080p60...

Can you help me understand why one works and other don't?

Thank you very much.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 10:43 pm

720P60 should work. But 1080P60 wont as it is 3G-sdi and this is not supported by your mixer.
1080i/50, 1080i/59.94, 1080i/60, 720p/50, 720p/59.94, 720p/60

What might be the case in this.. Is that the Micro converter has a different EDID table then the Micro bi directional. In which case the laptop favors the highest resolution supported. ;)

Also your datavideo mixer, like most atems need to have all inputs be the same resolution and framerate.

So if you put the mixer in 720P60 You must set your laptop to the same resolution and framerate otherwise it WONT work.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production