Canon XL2 to BMMiniRec to iMac without thunderbolt connect

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

NotaProPadilla

Canon XL2 to BMMiniRec to iMac without thunderbolt connect

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Hi to all the pros! Fair warning I’m not an expert but a volunteer trying to set up a live feed for my church. I ordered the BlackMagic mini recorder and am trying to narrow down the cables to use from the camera to box and the box to iMac. The computer does not have a thunderbolt connection just USB. The camera is a Canon XL2 and I am confused as to what cables I should be looking to order. Again just looking for a pros advice since I’m learning.

Kevin Copeland

Re: Canon XL2 to BMMiniRec to iMac without thunderbolt conne

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 8:48 pm

NotaProPadilla wrote:trying to set up a live feed for my church.

So the live feed will be used for what? Displaying in another room, streaming online, or just recording the signal from the camera?

It looks like the Canon XL2 is a Standard Definition camera. The Blackmagic Ultrastudio Mini Recorder is a device to capture video into your computer and it has SDI and HDMI inputs. If you don't have Thunderbolt on your computer, then you can try to use a USB to Thunderbolt adapter. Not sure if that will work. You will need an adapter to convert the composite video and audio from the XL2 to HDMI. The XL2 should have a cable or outputs that give your composite video and audio.

kc

Denny Smith

Re: Canon XL2 to BMMiniRec to iMac without thunderbolt conne

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 pm

Skip going to HDMI, instead just get a BM Mini Converter Analog to SDI, so you can use longer cable runs from the camera to the computer. HDMI cable’s with BM gear are only good for 13-15 feet max, then yiu start getting issues. SDai can run a 100-feet with the SDI connection from the camera. I have done this several times. If yiu want a second XL2 and/or V Mount battery adapters, I have both available for sale, good price. PM me for details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production