ATEM TVS / Sound quality problems

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jorge Cardenas

ATEM TVS / Sound quality problems

PostSat Jun 01, 2013 10:28 am

Hello,

We are in dire need of help,

We are getting lackluster sound quality from our Beheringer Ultramatch Pro into our TVS.

We are running an external mixer into the XLRs in the Beheringer, and are getting very low levels. Almost undetectable...when we raise the levels the audio becomes distorted.

Please advise.

Mike Squires

Re: ATEM TVS / Sound quality problems

PostSat Jun 01, 2013 8:15 pm

What kind of mixer are you using?

This sounds like an unbalanced/balanced issue.

Jorge Cardenas

PostSat Jun 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Hello Mike,

We are using a rather basic Mackie 6 channel mixer, what are the ideal outputs settings? We are using left and right analog inputs of the Ultramatch and outputing from the RCA to the ATEM.

We are outputing from our mixer using the left and right plug outputs (we have plug to XLR cables).

Would upgrading the mixer to one that has an optical output be better?

We are rather new at this, please excuse the untechnical explanation of the situation.

Thomas Seewald

PostSat Jun 01, 2013 10:10 pm

This sounds like an unbalanced/balanced issue.
When a unbalanced-balanced connection (without using a DI-box) is made correct, you loose 6db. The sound should be detectable ;-)

At audio mixer all levels are OK ? Do you use a Y-cable to send a mono signal to stereo input.

Maybe you try a mono connection (really only one channel) or other cables. Perhaps there is a problem with the phase, so that one chanel eleminates the other. How ist the RCA to XLR connector built? Has the mixer other outputs like XLR ord 1/4" Jacks (6,3 mm), which can be used ?
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Jorge Cardenas

PostSat Jun 01, 2013 10:27 pm

Ok, Correction

We are running audio from an inexpensive 10 channel Behringer mixer such as this one

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEH1204USB

We are using the 1/4 Jack outputs from the mixer, Left and right channel separately, then run them to the Behringer left and right analog inputs.

The mixer has RCA outputs as well, and a headphones output...

If the mixer is the problem, what mixer would be recomended?

Would a DI box suffice and regain the decibles lost?

philetaylor

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 1:50 pm

That mixer also has XLR outs on the back so you should definitely be using those so you are going XLR->XLR to the Ultramatch. I am a bit confused though as that mixer doesn't have jack outputs for the main mix, only XLR/phono.

If you are using a different mixer that does have a balanced (TRS) Jack output then you should use proper TRS to XLR cables not just basic unbalanced jack to XLR.

What sort of level does the meter on the mixer show? It should be around 0(db) for normal use.

Phil

Mike Squires

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Now that I think about it, we had a similar problem with a Beta-SP deck and the Intensity Shuttle. Using XLR-to-RCA cables, the audio was extremely distorted. Our engineer re-wired the XLR ends, moving the ground wire (not sure how he wired it), and that fixed it.

Before moving the ground, the same cable worked fine on our JVC D9 decks (analog out obviously). In the end, we used the altered XLR-to-RCA just for the Beta-SP deck, and used our normal XLR-to-RCA cables for all other gear. (For the record, we always make our own cables).

I don't know if this is possibly the same issue you're having or not.

FWIW, now we run all audio and video from our decks into a DPS, and just use HD-SDI out into a Mini-Recorder. I know that's not really important to the OP, just thought I'd add it.

philetaylor

PostSun Jun 02, 2013 6:05 pm

That could be his problem Mike, it is always best to use a DI box when going from unbalanced to balanced connections as depending on the balanced input type/impedance you can get a lot of problems with noise etc (especially with long cable runs).

As a rule of thumb for unbalanced phono/jack connections to XLR, the tip should connect to pin 2 (hot) of the XLR and the sleeve should connect to both 3 (cold) and 1(shield). This doesn't work for all equipment though so in some cases it may be necessary to disconnect pin 1 to get a clean signal.

Phil

Thomas Seewald

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 8:44 am

I have some Behringer mixers and I have no problems. But I don't have an Ultramatch Pro. I connect my mixers to the TVS using a cheep analog to SPDIF-converter.

You talk about using the 1/4" Jacks for connecting to the Ultramatch. Which outputs do you use ? The Main outs are XLR, 1/4" Jacks are for Aux, effects and control room. Control room must be switched on (switcher and common gain control for headphone and control room are above alt 3-4 fader in a "Souce" section).

I would use mixers XLR-Outs to connect with the Ultramatch's XLR-In. (I think )The Ultramatch has also a Peak/VU-meter. Does it display something ?What about the gain-control knwob ?

What about the sample rate ? I Think 48 kHz would be the right value.

A Di-Box is allways helpfull, when connecting unballanced sources to ballanced inputs. Maybe your 1/4 jack to XLR adapter has a failure.
thos-berlin - Thomas S e e w a l d

Jorge Cardenas

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 12:35 am

Will a TRS to XLR work out the unbalance / balanced issue?

Mike Squires

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 4:39 am

We've used a Matchbox in the past, and it works fine.

Return to Live Production