LIVE CONCERT

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

balazslengyel

LIVE CONCERT

PostThu Feb 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi all!

I'm working as a live video production company owner, and we are upgraded our video mixer to the ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K.
Now we used a Micro Studio 4k, but i need 2 more cameras. (1080p is enough with 60 fps)

Which one is the best choice for the live concerts, with no cameraman and no remote system?
(my budget is low)
-micro cinema
-micro pocket (I know just 30fps)
-Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, EF Mount

I would like to use with manual focus but with auto exposure.

Do you have any experiences?

THX!

Harry Parker

Re: LIVE CONCERT

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 3:40 am

If you have sources with a variety of input resolutions then the BMD TVS HD Pro 4K is the way to go. Other mixers are cheaper but you'll potentially spend more money on external scalers to handle your differing resolutions so it adds up to the same in the long run.

balazslengyel

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 10:00 am

THX for the informations!

But at first i would like to know, which camera is the best for the live concerts? Low lights, fast auto exposure, and without cameraman.

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Well you have one Micro,Studio, since they are unmanned, you might as well get more Micro Studio Cameras, and they can be matched and controlled by the ATEM CCU. If you need an operator camera, the Ursa Boradcast is a good match to the Micro Studio Camera. This is my useual setup.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

balazslengyel

PostFri Feb 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Thx Denny!

What do you think, the Micro Cinema or the Pocket Cinema is enough for this setup? Because it's important to record all the cameras. Are they work great in dark ?

rogersuski

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 12:01 am

Kinda sounds like you're Lloyd'n it.

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 4:10 am

balazslengyel wrote:Thx Denny!

What do you think, the Micro Cinema or the Pocket Cinema is enough for this setup? Because it's important to record all the cameras. Are they work great in dark ?

They are not great low light performers... I own 7 micro studio cameras, 3 URSA Broadcast cameras and a few other BM cameras and I can definitely say making low light scenes look brighter is not their strong suit.

Now if you have a low light scene and you want it to look like a low light scene, the BM cameras can do that...
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Daniel Binder

PostFri Mar 08, 2019 7:56 am

We have several Micro Studio Cameras as well.
We find them only useful in low light when combined with a Speed Booster (the one that gains about 1,5 f-stops) and a fast EF-lens (usually a Canon 70-200 f 2.8). Makes it a challenge to keep focus, though.

Also we found it essential to keep the "Detail" setting turned off as any other setting massively increases the visibility of noise.

The SpeedBoosters are not cheap and neither are the lenses. You might be better off with something like a Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX5R, Z150, X70 or Z90 combined with a RM-30BP remote (which would let you remote control focus, gain, aperture...over LANC). I think one remote can control up to 3 cameras. Further, XAVC recording might be enough for your project (and produce much less data than ProRes or DNxHD saving you some money on SD cards and backup drives).

Cheers,
Daniel

Return to Live Production