Long HD-SDI multichannel signal cable

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dinmontoya

Long HD-SDI multichannel signal cable

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Any sugestions on a multichannel SDI cable capable of transmitting signals up to 328ft or 100 mts.

Trying to make a cable that carries hd-sdi signal, intercom signal, and an xtra audio signal.

running nx5´s and ATEM ME1 thanks !

Daniel Knoche

Re: Long HD-SDI multichannel signal cable

PostMon Jun 03, 2013 11:28 pm

If you want reliability and to know it would definitely work, would look at fibre. SDI is designed more for single signal with embeded audio. You may be able to embed the audio onto other channels but for the extra work needed and testing etc, would go for a proven solution. Prehaps look at the ATEM Studio and Camera converters
Daniel

mdwalleman

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 1:32 am

Markertek and Joesph Electronics sells bundled fiber with copper audio lines. At your distance, I would certainly recommend fiber.

For runs under 200ft, you can get copper mult-snakes from Belden, Clark, and Canare. Markertek also sells for them.
Mark D. Walleman

Jonas Bengtson

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 3:44 pm

Go multicore fiber. We use a 500 meter long with 16 pairs, perfect for long cable runs. One Norwia Minihub http://www.norwia.no/minihub.htmlon each side and you have the perfect extender solution. Before Blackmagic changed the Studio Convertes you could also use those as 4 to 4 rackmounted fiber converters.

dinmontoya

PostTue Jun 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Thank you all for your responses you are right about fiber also is future proof!!! :)

Baz

PostWed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Jonas Bengtson wrote:.... Before Blackmagic changed the Studio Converters you could also use those as 4 to 4 rackmounted fiber converters.

They never 'changed' them. They made a different version. The original Studio Converters are still available as I understand it, and are useful for cameras 5-8, 9-12 etc as tandem to the newer version.

eg for a 16 camera setup -
[new studio converter] -> [original studio converter] -> [original studio converter] -> [original studio converter]

Baz

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Jonas Bengtson

PostThu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 am

Baz wrote:
Jonas Bengtson wrote:.... Before Blackmagic changed the Studio Converters you could also use those as 4 to 4 rackmounted fiber converters.

They never 'changed' them. They made a different version. The original Studio Converters are still available as I understand it, and are useful for cameras 5-8, 9-12 etc as tandem to the newer version.

eg for a 16 camera setup -
[new studio converter] -> [original studio converter] -> [original studio converter] -> [original studio converter]

Baz

Then i am misinformed. My retailer told me the new studio converter replaces the old (which i also thought due to the removal of the old version on http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemconverters/design) but i might be wrong. Good if they are still produced.

Return to Live Production