Sync Problem

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Dorytv

Sync Problem

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi and sorry for my english.
I have recorded a concert with 4 camera , 1 program.
Program and all camera are recorder with hyperdeck studio.
Video out for recorder are Aux from Atem 2.
I I synced everything with sync generator, now the recoder 1 has a different timecode than 2 frames compared to the program, recorder 2 is ok, recorder 3 of 3 frames and recorder 4 of 2 frames.
How but this problem?

many thanks

Xtreemtec

Re: Sync Problem

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 7:55 pm

So to check, All recorders were feed trough the AUX outputs of the Atem 2me?

Genlock sync the recorders is not of much use. (Rather for playout purposes)
But all recorders should be frame accurate when recording the AUX outputs of the Atem because they all have the same timecode. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dorytv

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 8:25 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:So to check, All recorders were feed trough the AUX outputs of the Atem 2me?

Genlock sync the recorders is not of much use. (Rather for playout purposes)
But all recorders should be frame accurate when recording the AUX outputs of the Atem because they all have the same timecode. ;)

I and many thanks for reply, all recorder are connected to aux (1 to 4) from Atem 2me 4k only master recorder are connette to program out Atem 2 Me

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Well we do the same. That should work. But i have to admit i use different recorders. ;)

Could it be that you use a few different brands / types of SSD's?? What i could forsee is something like a write buffer that is not catching up properly.. But then again the timecode is set onto the video signal.

Are all recorders running the same Firmware?
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dorytv

PostTue Mar 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Well we do the same. That should work. But i have to admit i use different recorders. ;)

Could it be that you use a few different brands / types of SSD's?? What i could forsee is something like a write buffer that is not catching up properly.. But then again the timecode is set onto the video signal.

Are all recorders running the same Firmware?

Hi.
Same ssd
Same Firmware
Different....only timecode

Denny Smith

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 4:49 am

While GenLock will sync the camera readout on a frame by frame basis, it does not sync the camera or recorder timecode, you need a TC sync master clock to do that, and the recorder needs a TC input. As Daniel pointed out, if you align the recordings first frame in a NLE, the recordings will line up on a frame by frame basis, and should play out for the same length of time.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brett Casadonte

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 8:13 am

Are the recorders genlocked? If so, maybe try disconnecting the sync signal... as Daniel mentioned, this isn’t needed... wondering if it is somehow throwing timecode off because it is trying to sync frames at the signal level.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Dorytv

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 10:07 am

Brett Casadonte wrote:Are the recorders genlocked? If so, maybe try disconnecting the sync signal... as Daniel mentioned, this isn’t needed... wondering if it is somehow throwing timecode off because it is trying to sync frames at the signal level.

Hi and many thanks for your reply.
If i disconnecting the sync signal, hyperdeck blinking a rec/red button!
So for this problem i need Time Code Master Reader Generator and sync generator?

Xtreemtec

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 12:22 pm

No just remove the Genlock sync. Because the Genlock is not needed untill you need to playout to a video mixer that needs genlocked sugnals.

But genlocking the hyperdeck might introduce some weird behavior inside the Hyperdecks that will cause this issue.

So remove those genlock cables. Just run the timecode from the Atem aux to the hyperdecks.

Dorytv

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 3:02 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:No just remove the Genlock sync. Because the Genlock is not needed untill you need to playout to a video mixer that needs genlocked sugnals.

But genlocking the hyperdeck might introduce some weird behavior inside the Hyperdecks that will cause this issue.

So remove those genlock cables. Just run the timecode from the Atem aux to the hyperdecks.

Without sync i have some problem in another concert!

Ok but with internal Atem time code or esternal time code?

Brett Casadonte

PostWed Mar 20, 2019 11:44 pm

Dorytv wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:No just remove the Genlock sync. Because the Genlock is not needed untill you need to playout to a video mixer that needs genlocked sugnals.

Frame sync is only an issue on playout... as Daniel said earlier, sync is not needed for recording, and frame sync is separate and distinct from timecode. If you only need the video on the AUX and PGM outputs to have timecode, then the internal ATEM timecode generation is fine. If you need to sync the timecode on the ATEM AUX and PGM outputs with other recording devices NOT connected to the Atem (such as an audio deck or other recorders), then you WOULD need to have an external timecode generator supplying timecode to the ATEM as well as the other devices. Regardless of whether you are using the internal timecode generator in the ATEM or an external timecode generator, the timecode being output on the AUX and PGM outputs should always be in synch with the source timecode generator.
Brett Casadonte
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Howard Roll

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 am

You can't sync a record deck. A record feed is an output, sync is for inputs. Unless you can time travel it's impossible to sync an input to an output. As stated, pull the plug.

Dorytv

PostThu Mar 21, 2019 9:20 pm

Brett Casadonte wrote:
Dorytv wrote:

Frame sync is only an issue on playout... as Daniel said earlier, sync is not needed for recording, and frame sync is separate and distinct from timecode. If you only need the video on the AUX and PGM outputs to have timecode, then the internal ATEM timecode generation is fine. If you need to sync the timecode on the ATEM AUX and PGM outputs with other recording devices NOT connected to the Atem (such as an audio deck or other recorders), then you WOULD need to have an external timecode generator supplying timecode to the ATEM as well as the other devices. Regardless of whether you are using the internal timecode generator in the ATEM or an external timecode generator, the timecode being output on the AUX and PGM outputs should always be in synch with the source timecode generator.

Ok no esternal sync, no esternal time code, but why i have different timecode in my 5 hyperdeck?

Brett Casadonte

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 9:38 pm

One other item to look at... the output of your video devices, are they set to drop frame or non-drop frame? If you have the ability to set these, they should be set uniformly... if they are not, this could impact your time code consistency across devices.
Last edited by Brett Casadonte on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Casadonte

Return to Live Production