Obscure ATEM 2 M/E HDMI not-syncing issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

PhotoJoseph

Obscure ATEM 2 M/E HDMI not-syncing issue

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 5:49 pm

Hey all,

This one is super obscure but I wonder if anyone has seen anything like it.

I was just testing a Hollyland Tech Mars 300 wireless HDMI kit along with the ATEM 2 M/E. As you know the 2 M/E only has one HDMI port, so I plugged into that.

My setup is 1080p24.

When I first connected the Mars, I got nothing on the ATEM. I suspected that this meant that the broadcast signal on the Mars was being converted to something else, like 1080p30. But when I connected the Mars receiver to two different devices that report the incoming frame rate, they both showed 1080p24. So the Mars appears to be working as expected, and not converting the signal. Hmm.

I rebooted the ATEM, and suddenly the Mars showed up! BUT, as soon as I disconnected and reconnected the Mars, the signal was lost. The only way to get them to see each-other was to boot the ATEM while the Mars was already connected.

This lead me to believe that perhaps the Mars is doing some kind of handshake with the ATEM and agreeing on a perfect signal, but that this only happened with the ATEM was first booted up. Basically, connecting the Mars to the HDMI is really hit-and-miss and definitely requires a reboot of the ATEM.

HOWEVER — if I fedd the Mars HDMI out into a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI mini converter, that works perfectly well! It syncs no problem to the ATEM.

Has anyone encountered anything like this with any other device?

thanks
-Joseph
https://youtube.com/photojoseph

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Blackmagic Cloud Store Mini on 10gb network
Synology RS1221+ 10gb
Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini
ATOMOS NEON 4K reference monitor

Xtreemtec

Re: Obscure ATEM 2 M/E HDMI not-syncing issue

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 5:52 pm

There are other reports of mismatch in EDID files. This sounds like a EDID issue.. Go the Microconverter way. It is so much easier when you can put your receiver away from the Atem. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

PhotoJoseph

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 5:55 pm

It actually was far away, connected to a long HDMI Cable (but I also tested with other HDMI cables to eliminate that possibility). Or maybe that’s not what you meant?

Either way I have a solution, but I’m curious to the problem. Gosh I haven’t had to deal with EDID issues in forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

JeffLee

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 6:02 am

I have an ATEM Television Studio and was attempting to hook it up to the wireless Hollyland Mars 300 device and am not able to get a signal at all. I even tried one of my generic HDMI to DSI converters, but no luck. Any suggestions out there? I would sure love to be able to go wireless with our cameras, but I am stumped on what to do from here.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Oct 05, 2019 7:18 am

Resolution and framerate MUST match the atem settings.. So figure out what resolution and framerate that hollyland sends out.. And set the atem to it.. Or use a scaler like the UpDownCross HD or Decimator MD-HX
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

JeffLee

PostSun Oct 06, 2019 2:23 am

Thank you for the reply. I am still having trouble. I did notice that I am getting audio, but still no video. Is the only way to change the HD standard on the original ATEM by going to settings - general, and then changing it for everything? I’ve tried every HD video standard from that screen but still not getting a picture. I know the device works, as I was able to get video when I plugged it into my tv directly. I’m not sure what else to try besides buying more parts.

PhotoJoseph

PostMon Oct 07, 2019 12:53 am

@JeffLee, as @Xtreemtec explained, all device have to be at the same setting. Since you haven't shared settings, compare your camera(s) to the ATEM. This means all devices have to have the same resolution (i.e. 1920x1080), and same framerate (i.e. 29.97).
  1. First ensure that both devices have identical settings, and aren't set to any auto settings (i.e. the LUMIX GH5 has an auto mode on the HDMI output. Disable that.)
  2. Connect your camera and ATEM directly. If that works, move on. If it doesn't, youv'e got other problems.
  3. Insert the Mars. If it doesn't work, reboot the ATEM with the Mars connected (that's what I have to do when connecting to HDMI, as noted in my original post).
  4. If that still doesn't work… maybe it's a bad Mars, but let's take it from there.

Resolve Studio 18.6.5
macOS Sonoma 14.2.1
MacBook Pro M2 Max
96GB RAM
Synology RS1221+ 10gb

Xtreemtec

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 2:58 pm

JeffLee wrote:I know the device works, as I was able to get video when I plugged it into my tv directly.

So hit the INFO button on your TV. 90% of the time the TV will now tell you something like 1080P 50 or something.

This is the video resolution coming from the Mars.

And yes you will get audio on HDMI if you have mismatched resolution and framerate. As audio in HDMI are seperate wires. And that works always even if no picture is there.

But really get yourself a UpDownCross HD or Decimator MD-HX and solve a lot of your troubles!!!
I would recommend the Decimator. As you can see on the LCD screen what the resolution and framerate from the Hollyland is. ;)

AjCole72

PostWed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 pm

Have you found any solutions for this problem because i still have problems that it only works when i have the mars on then i power it on, and i cant get it. to work at all with the black magic sdi to hdmi converters

Return to Live Production