BMD NAB new hardware discussion topic

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Aaron Rebbeck

Re: BMD NAB new hardware discussion topic

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 5:40 am

Xtreemtec wrote:
Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:Doing this on the current fiber way will cost you 4 SFP's per side ;) 12G sfp's costs around $160 each..
that is $1280 on fiber SFP's alone.. And that is when you talking about 1310 on all channels.. requiring a 8 channel fiber cable to do 8K in + out back to a 8k future camera.. :lol: :lol:

Where are you getting 12g sfp's for $160 BMD are around double that and fs.com are a little only a bit cheaper than BMD?
Insert list of BMD things that i have to update here ->

Xtreemtec

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 8:21 am

Well Joris, both options would be nice. But don’t count on it.

Aes67 / Ravenna is license.. like Dante. Bmd does not want to run protocols that are licensed.
The new 8K mixer has Madi. But until you are able to route and assign audio sources to different outputs. The whole madi interface is kind of useless. As you still need to embed it externally because the atem only embed a stereo mixdown. To all sdi outputs.

Simultaneous recording and playout is not something the current hyperdecks are capable.

The fpga switches from recording code to playout code. And my honest opinion is that the fpga and also the read write speed to the media is not fast enough to do both.

But almost competitors do not have the same functions. So I’m not suprised.

If you want to do something like this go for vmix or 3Play. These systems have these functions build in
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Joris Robijn

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 11:48 am

AES67 is not licensed. It does not require Ravenna. Or Dante. AES67 and RFC3190 (the latter defining the IP transport) are part of SMPTE ST 2110-30. And that appears to be where the broadcast industry is heading.

I know BMD still only embeds 2 channels in PGM, but we're launching wishes here, right? So I wish for availability of incoming audio and embedability of 8 channels into PGM and perhaps AUXes. And what better way to do it than in the upcoming industry standard way of 2110-30.

Around instant replay, BMD is indeed doing what everyone else does, so no recording while playing. But if you want to gain more market share, you have to do something others don't do. I am convinced they can do it, in one way or another. With limitations perhaps, such as being limited to HD only (because of bandwidth), and play only in the same file as you are recording. I wouldn't mind: I just keep recording if I can play back while recording :)
Previous

Return to Live Production