camera control when using the HDMI outputs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

nicks152

camera control when using the HDMI outputs

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Long time reader but first time poster here!

I just bought a Television Studio HD and some mini cameras. But I didn't realise they don't have an SDI output !

I have now connected them to the switcher with HDMI and I wondered whether there was a way to control the cameras with their SDI input whilst using the hdmi output from the camera, ie the inputs and outputs for each camera will be on different channels on the switcher.

If this is not possible I guess the only alternative is HDMI>SDI converters !

Denny Smith

Re: camera control when using the HDMI outputs

PostWed Apr 10, 2019 5:56 pm

The ATEM Camera CCU only controls BMD Studio and Ursa Broadcast/Mini Cameras. No direct support for third party cameras, although their are some third party controllers available for Pro Studio cameras.
Which Mini Cameras did you get? The BM Micro Studio 4K Camera has SDI in and outputs. The HDMI out from the Micro Studio is for setup/monitor only.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

nicks152

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks very much for the input.

We bought the black magic micro studio (non 4k). We didn't need 4k and it seems I incorrectly assumed it would have an SDI output. Unfortunately I can only see a component out and HDMI out, or is there something I am missing here ?

royseegers

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 3:52 pm

I think you might have bought micro cinema cameras, which have a SD-card slot on the side. Can you confirm?

These camera's do not have SDI in or out, but can be remote controlled over a DIY solution. Using a radio transmitter/receiver normally found in model planes and drones.

The look-alike micro studio camera 4k is the one you want for live production, including SDI in/out and shading by atem control.

Xtreemtec

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Then you did not buy the the Micro Studio camera. Because that is only in 4K available.

You did buy the Micro Cinema Camera with SD card slot without the SDI conenctors.
This camera can not be controlled from the Atem and is cheaper.

Micro Cinema Camera:

Micro Studio Camera:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:58 am

Guess you bought the wrong camera. You should see if you can send it back, and get the correct Micro Studio 4K, which is actually only UHD, and can also be set to output 1080p HD (downsampled from full sensor in camera), this is a very nice HD output signal, well saturated Rec 709 image. Also the Micro Cinema camera is not going to have the same level Rec709 saturated output, as it is primarily a cinema recording camera with a flater video profile, designed for post production co,or correction and image processing.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

nicks152

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I really should of consulted this forum before buying ! I will see If I can swap them for the 4k studio versions.

We bought these lenses Olympus M.Zuiko EZ 12-50mm (I know not the best) in the hope the zoom would be controllable over SDI. Does anyone know if this will work ?

Cheers

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:39 pm

Yes, it works, the lens is on BMD’s list. But this lens is going to need lots of light when zoomed in! It is a f/3.5 to 6.3, very slow for studio work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

nicks152

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks for confirming that for me Denny.

I have the lense on a BM studio 4k and I can control Iris but the zoom function on the Atem software seems to have no effect. Is there a secret to getting this setup correctly ?

BR

nicks152

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 2:19 pm

I got the zoom working. These lenses work very nicely actually - the only problem is they need a lot of light. Thanks to everyone here for the assistance.

Return to Live Production