Audio intercom LOW

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Erik Wildeman

Audio intercom LOW

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Last year I bought a Studio Converter with some Camera Converters. The intercom is so low, we can't hear each other. AT ALL. I've searched this forum, asked suppliers, asked other multicammers. I ordered multiple headphone amps (i.e. Behringer Powerplay P1) and those don't work at all. Nothing seems to work. I'm getting very frustrated for not being able to communicate with my operators. I'm starting to think this studio converter was a big mistake and I should've gone for a regular intercom.

Is there anyone with a solution? I would be very much appreciated :)

Matt Certa

Re: Audio intercom LOW

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 3:17 pm

I have XLR to clearcom belt packs loomed to my SMPTE fiber instead of the internal BM system if that tells you anything.

Erik Wildeman

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Matt Certa wrote:I have XLR to clearcom belt packs loomed to my SMPTE fiber instead of the internal BM system if that tells you anything.

I know, but the whole idea of this construction is to use fiber alone. And it should be possible where advertised by Blackmagic.

pederdingo

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:25 pm

I don't know much about electronics, but what I do is use headphones that needs less power.
I'm told they need lower impedance, but from my tests it's not as black and white.

I've had success with the following:
Peltor headsets with the drivers replaced with drivers from Sennheiser HD25 headphones. They fit, but it's kind of a hack. The audio noticeably louder. (Peltor also makes special low impedance speakers, but I have no experience with that)

ASA HS-1A and Flightcom 4DX also have louder speakers, but note that they both use electret microphones, and the it has to be dynamic for use with the camera converter.
I have replaced the microphone cells with dynamic mics and it works ok.

None of these will give to screaming loud audio like other systems, but it is noticeably better.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Well the intercom is an issue. BMD is aware of it. But it seems to be hard to solve.

From my personal experience there is much difference between headsets used. The real pro headsets that broadcasters use. (Peltor, Clarck, etc) are almost all 600 Ohm. This needs a LOT of power to be driven. (Several Watts instead of milliWatts)
Going back to headsets that have only 100/150 Ohm impedance helps a lot as they go a lot louder with the same power.

We have used a few hacked models by putting normal computer headset speakers inside of Peltor headsets. Works much better. But they get killed the moment you use systems like ASL, Clearcom etc. :?

So the only way would be to crank up the volume inside of the converter to it's limits.. But i don't know were BMD is right now in volumes..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Erik Wildeman

PostSun Apr 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Thanks for the response! I've tried cheaper headphones with less impedance. it kind of works, but let's face it: it's only a little less crap. I do a lot of festival type of work with louder music. At the moment the best way to work with the camera converters is to plug in telephone earplugs with the beyerdynamic headphones on top to try to get rid off the noise (so the beyerdynamic not plugged in). That's of course a very bad solution.

When you're used to ASL type of intercom this is by far not comparable. Not even close. How do they still sell this kind of product?

Ed Liew

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi Erik,
Same issue with us. Here's our flow to a not perfect but usable system.
When I first bought the Atem studio converter, I thought it would be piece of cake to use it with our existing Telex headsets. I made some jacks to 4 pins canon connector adapter for the studio and camera adapters. Intercom level was hopeless in loud environment.
Much enquiries from Blackmagic, I was asked to use computer headset instead. Well, intercom level are now too loud and the audio crack when you talk too loud. I was using the 3 pins canon for the mic then as I can't find the said "commonly" available aviation jack which is not available here. Much later on, I bought a very expensive aviation Telex headset and now intercom is much better still with some cracking audio especially when you're doing concert.
I would conclude, Blackmagic do come out with affordable solution but they go further than that. You always need to spend a lots of trial and error with your time and money to get them to work. I'm still looking for ways to link the Atem to my RTS Intercom system and also maybe to further extend the Atem with additional Camera Converter or with Blackmagic fibre converter. No positive result so far.
Regards,
Ed
Ed
Visual Line

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 7:37 am

Ed Liew wrote: I'm still looking for ways to link the Atem to my RTS Intercom system and also maybe to further extend the Atem with additional Camera Converter or with Blackmagic fibre converter.

Use a 2Wire 4 Wire interface with adjustable volumes. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ed Liew

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 7:53 am

Bought a SSA324 after reading this in one of the forum. Don't work at least for me. Possible to describe how the wiring should go. Would be great help for me.
Regards,
Ed
Ed
Visual Line

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 8:00 am

Ed i'm not really familiar with RTS.

We have ASL. Kind of the same system only 1 party line.

But we had good results by coupling a ASL 4/2 wire converter to the Talkback in out of our Atem 4ME.
I know they are a bit different in level to the MIC input of the Talkback converter.. So you might need to look at a conversion that will change line level to mic level.. Or input it by AES to the back of the Talkback converter as this is "line" level but then in AES digital format.

MambaFiber.com

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi Ed,

Here's a link to the SSA324 user manual
https://www.rtsintercoms.com/br/rts/file?i=97659&lg=eng

This unit will convert 2 4W intercom channels into 2 2W systems, which then need a power supply to run RTS beltpacks, like a BP325. You mentioned earlier you had an existing RTS system, so I'm guessing you just need to interface to the ATEM.

Simply put, you need to connect the talk and listen ports of the ATEM (XLR on the 2M/E models, or BNC AES on the Studio converters) to the SSA324, and then the 2W port of the SSA324 to the RTS system power supply (PS-8, PS-10, PS-31, etc).

Specifically, connect the terminal block on the back of the 324 like this...

1- pin 2 of female XLR for ATEM talkback out
2- pin 3 of female XLR for ATEM talkback out
3- pin 2 of male XLR for ATEM talkback in
4- pin 3 of male XLR fro ATEM talkback in

If you have an ATEM 2/4 M/E with XLR talkback, this is where you connect the 2 XLRs wired above. If you want to connect to a studio/talkback converter instead, you will have to convert these XLR to AES audio on BNC using something like a Flying Cow AES/Analog converter and connect to the proper loop BNCs on the back of the BMD converter.

The J101 XLR on the 324 is meant to connect to your RTS power supply. The PS connection and wiring varies by model, which one do you have? Then depending on your model the setting of the switch S101 might come into play.

After all of these connections are made, you need to "null" the 324 for best performance. you do this by plugging a headset into the front of the 324, pressing the TEST button, and adjusting the Hi-Med-Low pots until a minimum of test tone is heard in the headset.

Given how well the ATEM intercom works (NOT!) you may feel that all of this is not worth the trouble. We have tested the ATEM with a similar 2W>4W converter so we know this setup is correct and functional given the quality/limits of the ATEM. In our case we use a completely separate intercom system if that tells you anything...
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Andrew D'eon

PostSun Dec 29, 2019 7:40 pm

Erik Wildeman wrote:Last year I bought a Studio Converter with some Camera Converters. The intercom is so low, we can't hear each other. AT ALL. I've searched this forum, asked suppliers, asked other multicammers. I ordered multiple headphone amps (i.e. Behringer Powerplay P1) and those don't work at all. Nothing seems to work. I'm getting very frustrated for not being able to communicate with my operators. I'm starting to think this studio converter was a big mistake and I should've gone for a regular intercom.

Is there anyone with a solution? I would be very much appreciated :)

The Kingston Hyper x cloud gaming headsets are the perfect compliment for the atem camera-studio converters, they are proper impedance and have great sound and volume control

alexlindsay

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm

Not the cheapest solution but I'm testing the Clearcom LQ boxes... which, with a license, support 8 AgentIC clients. This turns your iPhone or Android into a comms panel (think point to point AND PLs... designed as you like it). It will work anywhere you have IP (including WAN if you have a static).

We have used the AgentIC all over the world (with a Delta frame) but using the LQ boxes to support them is new.

a

PS... you can add up 5 additional boxes to build a larger network.

PPS... we tried to use BMD a few times. It's really low :)

David Hutchinson

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm

Andrew D'eon wrote: The Kingston Hyper x cloud gaming headsets are the perfect compliment for the atem camera-studio converters, they are proper impedance and have great sound and volume control

Just bought a pair of these on your say-so and the volume goes up to deafening! So easily plenty of volume. They are nice headphones too. I bought the Cloud II version. Here's a link https://amzn.to/2u9cAGb

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jan 31, 2020 7:27 pm

We are testing with the Birddog headset. It works, it is 16 Ohm so impedance is right for the BMD cameras. The mic works like expected. And the ear mufs seem to dampen the outside audio better then the gaming headsets we tested so far..

But we need to test them in a loud environment to really make a good assessment if this headset will be the solution..

David Hutchinson

PostSat Feb 01, 2020 8:28 am

Xtreemtec wrote:We are testing with the Birddog headset. It works, it is 16 Ohm so impedance is right for the BMD cameras. The mic works like expected. And the ear mufs seem to dampen the outside audio better then the gaming headsets we tested so far..

But we need to test them in a loud environment to really make a good assessment if this headset will be the solution..
]

They look really interesting, I'll try and get a pair this week and try them out.

Return to Live Production