Keeps Dropping Frames

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

genemorris

Keeps Dropping Frames

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 11:53 pm

I have a newer iMac with 16gigs of ram and an SSD hard drive. Using an UltraStudio HD Mini to help with the capture.

I've plugged a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 DSLR into the banck of a ATEM Television Studio Pro and this setup randomly drops frames around the 2-minute mark.

I swapped out the camera with a BMD micro cinema camera and get the same problem. All outputs are set to 1080P 29.97 and cannot for the life of me figure out why this rig keeps dropping frames and screwing up all our productions. Many lost hours to this problem. Before I start ranting to BMD, I was wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions?

Things seem to work just fine with no cameras plugged in, but the moment I start using cameras all hell breaks loose,

Kevin Copeland

Re: Keeps Dropping Frames

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Perform a disk speed test and see if your SSD can keep up with your capture. BMD has a utility for this, forget what it is called.

Capture is very picky about other resources the computer may be using. Disable all screensavers, power savers, etc. Don't use the computer for anything else. Fresh reboot.

Usually a RAID system is required for capture because it writes data across 3 or 4, 7200 rpm drives.

genemorris

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Thanks Kevin, I tested this and the SSD passes. Calling tech support to see if they can help. Puzzled.

Denny Smith

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Is your computer a Thunderbolt 3.0 connection? Sounds like an issue in or with the computer. What codec and software are you recording with? I would contact BMD Support directly for quicker help.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Live Production