Question about Audio Recording

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

VGx7TV

Question about Audio Recording

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Hello,

One thing that's always baffled me is the best way to record audio from a microphone if I'm doing what many would call "field reporting", where I have a wireless microphone and I'm interviewing someone. I've heard filmmakers say "I would never plug a microphone directly into a camera." But why? For me it's always been so simple. Does having some sort of external recorder make the audio sound that much cleaner? And if so what's the best way of syncing up the audio and video in post? I've always been a very "plug and play" type of person and having the less gear the better, but if I need more gear to make a better product please let me know!

Kevin Copeland

Re: Question about Audio Recording

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 2:27 pm

It depends on the pre-amps of the camera you are using. If you have a cheap video camera, (or DSLR), the audio can have noise in it, hum, etc.

That's why recording with a Tascam or Zoom records better audio. I shoot mainly with a Canon 5D Mark II, record with a Tascam DR-100, then output the audio of the Tascam back into the mic input of the 5D. This gives me a backup on the 5D in case the recording fails on the Tascam for some reason, (which has happened a few times). I use a marker (clapstick) to sync audio/video, especially when using multiple cameras. In my experience a clapstick has always been better than trying to use Plural Eyes to sync later.

I did a test of the same audio from the Tascam and 5D, and the 5D audio had noticeable noise, but could be usable in a pinch.

Return to Live Production