Hyperdeck Change File Name & Configure via Ethernet

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ruben Gomez

Hyperdeck Change File Name & Configure via Ethernet

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 5:38 pm

1) Change File Names:

From all my reading, it looks like Hyperdeck still has no built-in capability to change the file name. So let this be my feature request.

Clip### doesn't work well when you're running multiple recorders. I know there is a third-party program (Panel) that makes this possible. But this functionality should be basic.

2) Configure via USB: Some time ago the ATEM received an update allowing us to update firmware via LAN. This has come in useful. Why is it that even with the latest Hyperdeck update I can only update/configure via USB?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Hyperdeck Change File Name & Configure via Ethernet

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 10:09 pm

1) Currently the only way to set the recorded clip name with the HyperDeck is using the Ethernet control protocol:
Code: Select all
telnet <hyperdeck.ip.address> 9993
record: name: clipname
The most recent update for the Duplicator 4K added an option to set the clip name prefix through the USB setup utility. It would be nice if they added a similar feature to set the clip name via the HyperDeck setup utility.

Ruben Gomez

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 1:13 am

David, I agree. Changing file prefix is expected basic functionality, as is being able to update time and date via Cat 5. Not everyone can run a long USB cable from their equipment rack to a computer 24/7.

Matt Penn

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Agreed, need ability to set Reel name for drives, and clip prefix via Setup Util and front panel. We just had a recording with 8 cameras and PGM and the ingest manager and editor are having fits. Totally justified.

Re: ethernet control protocol, If I logged in via telnet and set the clip name for each recorder "PGM_001, ISO1_001, ISO2_001, ISO3_001", etc) will it name the clips persistently going forward, across power cycles?
Post Production Supervisor / Director / Cinematographer / Editor

Dave Del Vecchio

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 6:52 am

The Ethernet protocol command I mentioned that sets the recorded clip name (record: name: clipname) only sets the name of that one clip and also starts recording that clip in a single command. It is a variation of the basic record command which just starts recording with the default clip name.

So every time you start recording, you would need to specify the clip name you want to use by including it in the record command (the name is not saved anywhere beyond that one clip). The HyperDeck will append a sequence number to the specified clip name, but you still need to actually specify the clip name in each record command or it will revert to using the default clip name.

For this kind of scenario, I would probably use some external HyperDeck control software that uses the Ethernet protocol, but can remember the clip name you want to use and supply it to the deck each time you start recording.

This HyperDeck Panel software is one such utility application that lets you configure the clip name and start/stop recording:
http://hyperdeck.iamjeffamato.com/

Saskia-Anett Ebelt

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 12:08 am

HyperSynchron App does it all easier.

https://liveskills.net/hypersynchron/

Best regards, Anett from LiveSkills
Blackmagic Atem 1M/E, ATEM Mini/Pro/ISO, 4x Hyperdeck, SmartScope, Videohub, Decklink Extreme, Micro Studio Camera,

bobbytee

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Following up on this thread. Anyone have any good experiences with software used to control and change file naming on the HyperDeck?

I see the one mention previously: http://hyperdeck.iamjeffamato.com/

And I found this one: https://squaredpaper.co.uk/hyperdeck-list/

I tried this iOS app, but was not able to connect to my HyperDeck: https://liveskills.net/hypersynchron/

Any reviews/recommendations?

Thx

Saskia-Anett Ebelt

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 12:40 am

To connect HyperSlow to the deck, you need to disconnect the deck from the ATEM software and also ATEM. HyperDeck can only connect to one instance.
Blackmagic Atem 1M/E, ATEM Mini/Pro/ISO, 4x Hyperdeck, SmartScope, Videohub, Decklink Extreme, Micro Studio Camera,

Bnpositive

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 1:48 pm

This is absolutely a basic function that should be included in a future update ASAP! It would be great to specify a prefix and either an auto-incrementing number or a date stamp for the recording date.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostTue Nov 08, 2022 7:17 am

Bnpositive wrote:This is absolutely a basic function that should be included in a future update ASAP! It would be great to specify a prefix and either an auto-incrementing number or a date stamp for the recording date.
This is supported on the latest HyperDeck models such as the HyperDeck Studio HD Mini, HD Plus, HD Pro, 4K Pro, as well as on the HyperDeck Shuttle HD and HyperDeck Extreme 4K/8K.

In the HyperDeck setup utility software, you can enter a filename prefix and also choose whether to append a timestamp suffix to the filenames of recorded files. You can also set both of these properties using the HyperDeck Ethernet protocol.

The timestamp suffix can be enabled or disabled via the front panel menu and LCD screen on those HyperDeck models as well. On the 1 rack unit tall HyperDeck models, you can't actually change the filename prefix via the front panel, likely due to the lack of keyboard input, although it will show you the filename text that has currently been set. Setting the prefix text using the front panel should be possible on the HyperDeck Extreme models though as these have a larger touch screen interface that allows for an on-screen keyboard.

Return to Live Production