BiDirectional Micro Converter Problem

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

alec.oban

BiDirectional Micro Converter Problem

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 4:37 am

I'm using the Blackmagic BiDirectional SDI/HDMI Micro Converter. Trying to convert from HDMI to SDI. Upon plugging in, the computer I'm connecting to reads the display, and I can set the resolution (Which is 1080i 59.94), but I can't get the SDI out signal to work. I've tried this on multiple of these converters, and still no luck. Anybody else have similar issues? Thoughts as to what might be causing this?

To give you an idea, here is my signal path:

Mac Mini - HDMI out to Micro Converter - SDI Out to BMD 20x20 Router - Out to BMD Switcher Input.

Thoughts? Any help would be much appreciated.

royseegers

Re: BiDirectional Micro Converter Problem

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 6:00 pm

It can be a HDCP (Copy protection) related problem. Have you tested a Windows machine with the same settings? Apple hdmi to sdi will not always work with BMD, is my experience.
We use decimator md-hx without issues.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 7:57 pm

Hello Alec. I will offer one observation (maybe 2). All ATEM switchers with the exception of the TVS 4K Pro and Constellation will not accept 60 Hz on the SDI inputs. If that is the issue. Should not be HDCP unless you are playing copyrighted material. The desktop should not cause that.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Kevin Copeland

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 2:52 am

I’ve had trouble with Macs connecting to the ATEM. I’ve used SwitchResX and that works sometimes. Now I always use an UpDownCross converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 7:40 am

We always use a Decimator MD-HX or BMD UpDownCross HD in between laptops / computers and atem setups.

Because it's just easier to get it up and running with a converter in between then fight your way every time you reboot to get the thing running again.. Especially with interlaced it is a nightmare.. 1080P 50 is easy with most computers. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Matt Certa

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 2:43 pm

the problem is likely that the micro converters don't change the refresh rate. So the mac is outputing 60, and the switcher needs 59.94

Return to Live Production