Smart Videohub 40x40 as main Router

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

fbrunell

Smart Videohub 40x40 as main Router

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 1:54 pm

My station has a router from one of the traditional manufacturers that has served me well (Not naming them here). I have been looking at adding more I/O to the router, taking it from 24x16 HD to 32x24. For roughly the same cost as adding 8 in and 8 out to my existing router, I can buy a Smart VideoHub 40x40. (Of course, not including control panels.) But the question I have is not about the cost, but about the reliability. The idea of using this router as my primary router in a 24x7 TV station with news makes me skittish, but I don't know why. I've got a smattering of Blackmagic gear around the plant (mostly small converters), and I've never had a problem.

So, what's your experience with the Router? I saw on this forum there was a prior issue of loss of communication with the panels, didn't see a resolution on that thread, but also didn't see any current problems like it. Any other problems? If you had an issue, how quick was it resolved for you?

Thanks!

dpictMEDIA

Re: Smart Videohub 40x40 as main Router

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 4:02 pm

My 40x40 has served well for the past few years. I do not leave it on 24/7 but that may actually be worse than staying powered on. It runs for about 10 hours a day for hundreds of shows and I don't even think about it. When you talk about reliability I do think BM has a great track record. I've been on productions where a gazillion dollar Ross switcher just stopped at top of show. Seen Broadcast Pix units throw in the towel a few times. Newtek equipment has locked up on me in the past and forced a reboot. Had a stage hand run over a few SDI lines with a loaded forklift. Been looking at my phone and missed a que. Anything can happen. What I do have is a big fan blowing on all my BM gear all the time. And I have a back up plan where I can route all the needed camera and playback feeds to one of two switchers to continue the show via an old fashioned patch panel. The only latency would be a few F bombs from me and on clearcom plus I have to run around to the other side of the rack. When we hear about gear failing I think you have to take in account that there are way more 40x40's in the world VS Pesa's or other top line gear. So the failure rate may be very close to identical.
Aric Mackey

Xtreemtec

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Got a 40x40 too.. No it does not run 24/7..
But it is stable !

Just keep in mind that your rack it up with 1RU above it free just to give it a bit more space.
And be sure your tech room is well ventilated / your rack has some forced cooling that will ensure air flow trough your rack. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

MambaFiber.com

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 4:59 pm

we used to run the 40x40 and 72x72 universal videohubs during PGAtour events. Not 24x7, but powered up for 6 days at a time, then moved to new site for another 6 days, etc. Our oldest VideoHub was purchased in 2012...still going strong. Just make sure you keep them cool internally.

The only issue with BMD (and this is true for all of their gear), once it's out of warranty you have to consider it disposable. It's all surface mount PCB not designed for repair at all. Once it's dead, toss it and start over. The good news is that it's cheap enough to do just that.
Greg Bellotte - owner
MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Return to Live Production