iMac as source

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mdh

iMac as source

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Hello,
I was wondering if it is possible to output from a 27" iMac's Thunderbolt port to the Production Studio 4K.
I purchased a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and the iMac shows up fine on my TV, but it doesn't show up as an input in the Production Studio.
I suspect the reason is because the iMac outputs a 1080p 60Hz signal, while the Production Studio is set to 1080i, but I can't find a way to change that.

Anybody done this before?
Michael

Rob Hargreaves

Re: iMac as source

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 5:43 pm

I haven't used an iMac, but I and other people do output Mac displays (laptops usually) to ATEM products, but the screen resolution and resfresh (frame rate) need to match exactly what the ATEM is set to receive, otherwise you'll need a scaler like this:
http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Pal-HDMI-to-NTSC-HDMI-Converter-1080p.html
or some other model that does the same thing.

mdh

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 5:52 pm

That's unfortunate, there's no way to change the iMac's output settings?
On my Win7 desktop all of these settings are accessible in the nVidia control panel.

Rob Hargreaves

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Yes, should should be able to change the settings once you're connected to the 4K as long as the Mac "sees" it, then you're normally presented with "video" resolutions & rates (50/60hz) you can change. at least it does on my Macbook Pro Retina going straight into the ATEM TVS, so I assume yours would be similar?

mdh

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 6:13 pm

plegilink wrote:Yes, should should be able to change the settings once you're connected to the 4K as long as the Mac "sees" it, then you're normally presented with "video" resolutions & rates (50/60hz) you can change. at least it does on my Macbook Pro Retina going straight into the ATEM TVS, so I assume yours would be similar?

When connected to the ATEM, I go to System Preferences>Displays, and am solely greeted with the settings for the iMac. I can click "Scaled" which gives me a list of resolutions, but changing those just changes the iMac screen's resolution, and there are no options for refresh rate.

UPDATE: When I plug the iMac straight into a TV, a display settings window pops-up and I can set it to 1080i. None of this happens when I plug it into the Production Studio 4K, and I get no display options for it.

mdh

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 3:33 pm

I installed the new ATEM Switcher Software 4.1.1 with the firmware upgrade and am delighted to see that the input and resolution problems I have experienced with using an iMac as input have been resolved. Beautiful clarity. :D

Now, can anyone tell me when the Studio Converter 2 will ship? :?:

Return to Live Production