BMPC 4K for live events

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sethbenjamin

BMPC 4K for live events

PostWed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Alright, so I've been searching and reading through this forum much of the day for an answer to my question and haven't been able to find anything.

Basically, I'm really interested in the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K and its potential use for live events. I like the idea of being able to use it in combination with the ATEM 4K switcher for live purposes. But, also the potential of using it for interviews or other cinematic like jobs as well. Here is where I'm a little confused. I've only ever used EF mount detachable lenses in a dslr setting (like shooting theatrical like trailers or short interview videos with my 5d).

So, the question is what type of lens and gear set up would you need for the BMPC4K that would allow you to zoom and follow a speaking subject, instrumentalist, dancer, actor or what have you, for a live event. Is this possible? Is it going to make the total cost of the camera and gear go up significantly?

I called B&H to ask them and the customer service rep seemed to think I was crazy for thinking this camera could be used in such a way and didn't even attempt to answer my question. However, it's been mentioned multiple times in interviews and across the web (including the "uses" section on the product page of blackmagic's website itself). Perhaps, one of you fine folk could point me in the appropriate direction?

Robert Bentley

Re: BMPC 4K for live events

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 1:23 pm

There is no digital zoom on the BMPC or they would have specified it. There are a few cameras out there with a digital zoom, that will allow you to put any lens on the front and zoom in 10x or whatever on your subject.

The way these cameras work, is if you want to get a closer shot, you put a higher number lens on the front of it. 100mm or 200mm and you're effectively zooming. If you want to research it, just look into what lenses wedding videographers use on their HDSLR cameras. Because wedding videographers have to shoot from a distance not to disturb the wedding. Or look into what lenses people use to shoot wildlife from a distance. It's usually 100mm+ lenses. If you get a lens that has an adjustable range, 100-200mm or something like that, it will cost a lot more than just getting a prime (fixed) lens that shoots just 100mm.

Robert Bentley

Re: BMPC 4K for live events

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 1:26 pm

The BMPC 4K camera shoots at 1920x1080p, so you could shoot live events really well with it and it wouldn't take up as much SSD space. You'd need at least 1-2 extra batteries though. The internal battery only lasts 90 minutes. The add on battery get around 5 hours of time. Just depends on how long the event is.

Most events though are best shot with 2-3 cameras, especially if they are a live event because if something goes wrong, they will get very upset. It's kind of dangerous shooting a live event with only 1 camera. :shock:

Return to Live Production