Live workflow colour correction/LUTs in da vinci?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alastair Leith

Live workflow colour correction/LUTs in da vinci?

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 4:24 am

I use a couple of BMD miniRecorders to encode HTML output from Nikon D610 and other devices and feed into mimoLive (mini TV Studio production).

Wondering if I can run the signal into Da Vinci Resolve and then pipe the output (perhaps via Syphon http://www.syphon.v002.info/) into mimoLive for vision mixing and streaming to FB/Periscope/YouTube https://boinx.com/mimolive/molive/.

In Premier I apply a LUT and then a HSL Secondary colour adjustment to get the brand colour (a teal sort of colour) to what is tonally pretty flat footage. The only in camera adjustment to colour I can do, and I guess it would be possible to make some calculations and print out a colour that does some of the job and then white balance on that colour, it's both complicated and wont do the work of a LUT or HSL secondary adjustments anyhow.

I realise the BMD Studio Camera (and maybe the BMPCC4K) can load LUTs etc from Resolve to apply on the fly, is it just the LUTs that get applied or can all kinds of corrections (like HSL Secondaries for isolating colour shifting on particular colour ranges) be loaded into the BMD Studio Camera?

Xtreemtec

Re: Live workflow colour correction/LUTs in da vinci?

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 1:58 pm

Well i think you could better get a LUT box that will do live correction.

For exampe this box does 2 SDI lut conversions at the same time. https://www.shopfsi.com/BoxIO-p/boxio.htm
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Alastair Leith

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 2:15 pm

Thanks Xtreemtec. At US$1,200 for the BoxiO that BMD studio camera is looking like excellent value.

The boxIO would do it though, and having a 1D LUT either side of the 3D LUT is nice too.

Alastair Leith

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 2:41 pm

So are you implying Resolve can do a live grade (as opposed to film post production)?

Xtreemtec

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 4:01 pm

I'm not implying that.. As far as i know there is no BMD product that can do live grade. There are a few boxes that do support LUT. But controlling that LUT in realtime is not done yet as far as i know.. ;)

And yes that would definitely be cool if we could control the LUT from network or so..
The Teranex AV can do some color correction and stuff.. But that is not really a LUT.. more like less blue, more red etc..
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Robert Kuzmanovic

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 10:23 pm

I think that AJA lut box is more affordable and it can apply two 3D luts at the same time. Downside is that you can not edit/adjust lut on set. You can just load previously prepared luts.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Robert Kuzmanovic wrote:I think that AJA lut box is more affordable and it can apply two 3D luts at the same time. Downside is that you can not edit/adjust lut on set. You can just load previously prepared luts.

Yeah well you can do this too with the Teranex Mini SDi to HDMI. Which is even cheaper then the AJA box. :lol: Also the BoxIO does do 2 SDI feeds at the same time. The TS needs 4 channels or so.. So for $600 a channel he can do LiveGrade :)

Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI includes a full 33 point 3D lookup table for extremely high precision color conversion that lets you apply custom looks, color and gamma changes to monitoring in realtime while on set! The LUTs can also be output on the SDI loop thru output so you can even use Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI as a 3D LUT processor. 3D LUT’s from DaVinci Resolve are supported so you can use the same LUT on set and in post with DaVinci Resolve for a consistent color workflow! Two separate 3D LUTs can be loaded via the admin software over Ethernet, or from the optional Teranex Mini Smart Panel.

But it is not realtime adjustable. ;) No Live grade function.. While i would +100 for that to be able to send some Ethernet commands to do corrections on the LUT. Which would make the Teranex Mini a realtime Livegrade toolbox that would also be very handy in the broadcast world to correct feeds from a Gopro or other sources that do not really come close to the look you are running with other cameras.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 1:37 pm

If you just need to apply a static 3D LUT, the Blackmagic Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G can do this (the original Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 4K did not have this capability, this was added in the updated 6G version). The Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI is also capable of applying a 3D LUT to its HDMI or SDI loop through output. With both of these converters the LUT to be applied is loaded onto the converter via USB.

Blackmagic used to sell the HDLink Pro which was capable of live color grading on its output and was often used with software like Pomfort LiveGrade. Unfortunately, it seems like the HDLink Pro has been discontinued, but you might be able to find a used unit.

Other than that, if you really do need live grading capability, you are probably better off with something like a Teradek COLR or COLR Duo, or the Flanders Scientific BoxIO or BoxIO Lite units mentioned earlier.

lenstar

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 1:29 pm

I know you are able to connect with TCP telnet command to a teranex 12g to HDMI.
And would be able to send a text line with lut information. I have done this by a python script.

It's not really a realtime update function but could be update every 2 seconds.

I also would like to have a update where I would be able to have it realtime!
Even if they have to skip some function like up and cross or others I just need the SDI in and out

Return to Live Production