Medical device recording and editing - which unit?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

mengshi

Medical device recording and editing - which unit?

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 3:24 pm

I basically want to record laparoscopic surgical operations and edit the video files for presentation (iMovie). The video processing unit of the camera systems has SDI output (3G). Usually the surgery may last from 3-6 hours so file size is a consideration.

I'm basically looking at 2 or 3 BMD units that may do the job at reasonable cost (This project is personally funded. LOL). Output is to project the video for presentation so 720 or 1080p is more than enough.

1) UltraStudio Mini Recorder. Seems the lowest cost. My questions:
a) I'm not clear if the SDI on this is 1.5G or 3G from reading the tech specs.
b) What is the implication of connecting a 3G SDI output to a 1.5G SGI input
c) I will be connecting this to a MacBook Air which has Thunderbolt 2 port. Is the MacBook Air powerful enough ?
d) With the BMD Desktop Video software, can I monitor what I'm recording on the MacBook Air in realtime?
e) Newer versions of Macbooks don't have Thunderbolt 2 ports anymore so I will have to use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Can someone confirm this will power the Ultrastudio and work?

2) Ultrastudio Mini
a) Seems newer and has some extras that I don't need. USB-C for me is a problem with the MacBook Air at the moment unless the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter works in reverse as well. That is - can I power this via the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter?
b) I think the Teranex Mini Smart Panel allows realtime recording monitoring but if I can do 1(d) above on the MacBook Air then I won't need this.

3) H.264 Pro Recorder
a) I'm attracted by the H.264 file size.
b) Recording can be done on the macBook Air - yes ? The Media Express is included. But why not the Desktop Video software? What's the difference?
c) Connection to the MacBook Air is via USB 2.0. I will most likely attach an external USB 3 drive (either HD or SSD) via the Macbook Air for storage capacity. Is the USB 2.0 connection for recording adequate for 720p or 1080p?

Thanks.

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Medical device recording and editing - which unit?

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 10:51 pm

1) a) The UltraStudio Mini Recorder has a 1.5G (HD-SDI) video input, it is capable of accepting a maximum video resolution of 1080p30 or 1080i60. It cannot accept 3G SDI video signals like 1080p50 or 1080p60.

b) If the input video signal is actually 3G SDI (1080p50/1080p60) then it will not be recognized by the UltraStudio Mini Recorder. Having said that, you should check to see what the actual video output format is from the camera. There are a lot of 3G SDI capable cameras that can be set to capture at HD SDI resolutions and frame rates (like 720p or 1080i) in which case the signal format would be compatible with the UltraStudio Mini Recorder.

c) Probably, although it may depend on what resolution, frame rate, and video codec you use for capturing. Some codecs like H.264 tend to be more resource intensive to encode than less compressed intraframe codecs like ProRes.

d) Yes, with Media Express (part of Desktop Video) you can monitor the video being captured.

2) a) The UltraStudio HD Mini is a Thunderbolt 3 device (rather than USB-C even though the connector is the same). This unit is powered through the Thunderbolt 3 port, so I'm not sure that it will work with a Thunderbolt 2 port and the Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter. The reason for this is because Thunderbolt 3 ports are capable of delivering significantly more power to connected devices than Thunderbolt 2 ports. So it is likely that the UltraStudio HD Mini (which draws up to 12W) requires more power than a Thunderbolt 2 port can deliver (max 10W).

b) As with the UltraStudio Mini Recorder you can monitor the input video via Media Express.

c) If you are intending to capture a 3G SDI video signal (1080p50/1080p60) then the UltraStudio HD Mini can handle this signal format (where the UltraStudio Mini Recorder cannot).

3) b) Media Express is included with the Desktop Video driver package. You would install the same software for both the H.264 Pro Recorder and UltraStudio capture units, and you could use Media Express to record in both cases. The key difference between the UltraStudio units and the H.264 Pro Recorder is that the UltraStudio deliver uncompressed video to the computer for processing. So the computer must do any compression needed before recording. With the H.264 Pro Recorder, the capture device does the H.264 compression and so all the computer has to do is write the compressed video to disk. The H.264 encoding does introduce some latency so when monitoring the input video with the H.264 Pro Recorder in Media Express it will be delayed by a couple of seconds (the UltraStudio units do not have this monitoring delay since they deliver uncompressed video).

c) The maximum bitrate for the H.264 Pro Recorder is 20 Mbps which easily fits within the 480 Mbps bandwidth of USB 2.0. Even external mechanical hard drives are usually capable of recording at this data rate without any problems.

4) If you know that you will be recording a progressive (rather than interlaced signal) from the camera, you might want to look at the HyperDeck Studio Mini. It has a 3G SDI capable input and can record H.264 in progressive frame rates. Since it is a standalone recorder, you don't have to connect it to a computer at all so it's much more turnkey and simpler to operate. It also includes a built-in screen for monitoring.
Last edited by Dave Del Vecchio on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Fairley

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 11:02 pm

I would dispense with the capture device + computer and go with a disk recorder for simplicity.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Harry Parker

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 6:15 am

I would second Jacks comment. For simplicity I'd get a couple of Hyperdeck Minis.

royseegers

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 7:49 am

I'd go for a separate recorder too. Maybe a quad recorder from BMD or AJA.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 am

But actually how perfect is your SDI signal?

We have seen many topics over the years here about surgical cameras. And often they are sending out weird resolutions or do not confirm to SMPTE standard while they do have SDI outputs. ;)

ALL bmd gear does only work with a SMPTE complaint SDI signal. Do you any specs about the signal or have a make and model to verify it is broadcast SDI complaint. Otherwise you might end up with new hardware that wont work as the signal is not detected. ;)

I also would recommend Disk recorder over Direct to laptop recording.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

mengshi

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 1:15 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:But actually how perfect is your SDI signal?

We have seen many topics over the years here about surgical cameras. And often they are sending out weird resolutions or do not confirm to SMPTE standard while they do have SDI outputs. ;)

ALL bmd gear does only work with a SMPTE complaint SDI signal. Do you any specs about the signal or have a make and model to verify it is broadcast SDI complaint. Otherwise you might end up with new hardware that wont work as the signal is not detected. ;)

I also would recommend Disk recorder over Direct to laptop recording.

The SDI should be OK. The device is a Karl Storz unit and they're pro-standard and big. Broadcasting on these medical equipment is fairly common - conference, teleconferencing etc. They even have a document published regarding following standards ("Enabled By Standards"). Their 3G-SDI states 1080@60/50Hz.

The only Disk Recorder in the current line up that comes close is the HyperDeck Studio Mini but I don't think recording on SD is cost effective for me at the moment. Essential the file is a single 3-6 hour recording. I don't need super quality 720p or 1080p is more than enough. In fact DVD quality is OK.

The discontinued HyperDeck Shuttle 2 is neat but needs a monitor (This can be cheap if I get a small screen version). File size is probably an issue.

So basically I need SSD recording, easy editing without much or tedious transcoding and not too costly as I'm no pro.

Another question: If the device SDI output signal is 3G-SDI and I'm want to use the UltraStudio Mini Recorder (1.5G-SDI), can I stick a some sort of converter in between? Or if I stick a 3G-SDI to HDMI micro-converter then record from the HDMI signal?

Thanks again.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Ok glad that SDI is covert ;) Just was to confirm this.. As there has been a lot of issues in the past.

Hyperdeck mini with a 1080P input can record in H264 mode. :) Which is very cost effective in recording times.
Also the dual slot will enable you that after card full it switches to the next slot. And for H264 recording you don't need 95Mb/s cards. 8-)

A BMD UpDownCross or Decimator MD-HX will work if you want to go 3G > 1,5G for the Ultrastudio mini.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

mengshi

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Ok glad that SDI is covert ;) Just was to confirm this.. As there has been a lot of issues in the past.

Hyperdeck mini with a 1080P input can record in H264 mode. :) Which is very cost effective in recording times.
Also the dual slot will enable you that after card full it switches to the next slot. And for H264 recording you don't need 95Mb/s cards. 8-)

A BMD UpDownCross or Decimator MD-HX will work if you want to go 3G > 1,5G for the Ultrastudio mini.

H.264 files can be edited directly using Resolve? It will be a single file filling the SD card?

I read something about the need for formalising H.264 (? or was it a different format) files before using so a midway crash can spoil the whole recording (I'm still learning. LOL).

Return to Live Production