ATEM CCU control converter to SDI camera return

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Baz

ATEM CCU control converter to SDI camera return

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 2:01 am

Yes, the ATEM inserts CCU control into the camera return for BMD cameras and other associated equipment as a standard feature. But only on certain signals.
Its the 'other associated equipment' that has issues when needing to use devices that use the BMD Arduino shield or other 3rd party embedders; especially when running a 4K setup. That is because the Blackmagic Arduino Shield is not 4K compatible (yet?).

So a solution I have just finished....
This is an ATEM CCU control converter from ethernet to SDI camera return. The way it works is that it decodes all the data in the ATEM's CCU ethernet packets (paint, exposure, gain, shutter, PTZ etc) and embeds the data into a Blackmagic Arduino Shield in 3GSDI (NON 4K).
As an example, this allows taking the built in 4k downconvert SDI on an ATEM 4K and feeding it into the ATEM2CCU converters' SDI input, and then connecting the SDI output into the camera return feed of all your cameras. That means your cameras SEND 4K to the ATEM but receive 3G as return.

This can also be used for when you need a different return feed to the cameras such as a multiviewer or a quad split; maybe you need to send off air back to the cameras. But with the ATEM2CCU you can reinsert all the CCU data back into the signal; with zero latency!

Another application I am working on is using the ATEM2CCU in a product called ATEM2WIFI.
Interested?

What this does is convert the network data from an ATEM wireless router into the SDI return video to a camera. This will allow radio CCU control of a BMD camera.

a typical connection would be...

[ATEM>] >>>(ethernet)>>> [>ROUTER>] ~~~(wifi)~~~ [>ATEM2WIFI>] ===(coax)=== [>CAMERA]
[ATEM<] ~~~~~~~~~(RF)~~~~~~~~~~ [<SDI/HDMI TRANSMITTER<] ===(coax)=== [<CAMERA]

I have done some preliminary tests and found that setting up the wireless router works excellent when mounted near the camera (~30m). I have not yet experimented with high gain antenna's yet.
I guess this could be called 'telemetry'?

Baz :o

MISC
U/S Express, SmartviewDuo, SmartScopeDuo, Teranex 2D, Web Pres, 5/7 Vid Assists
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
Studio, Shuttle, Studio Mini
ATEM
2me4K, 2me, TVS, TVS HD, CamConvs, StudioConvs, Studio Cams, Micro Studio Cam

Baz

Re: ATEM CCU control converter to SDI camera return

PostSat Apr 27, 2019 8:12 am

This video shows how to use any compatible source and embed the ATEM CCU data (including pan and tilt) to send back to the cameras. This also includes tally information!!!

I originally had a need to do this on a 4K production. My Ursa cameras have Fujinon analog lenses with remote zoom and focus controllers, which are controlled via my ATEM2LENS controllers that only work at 3G (1080) and NOT 4K. The built in ATEM 4K down-converter did not have the embedded CCU data included, so I had to put the ATEM 4K output into a TeranexAV and do the down-conversion there, and then feed that back to the camera's. There had to be a better (and cheaper) way.
The following week I had to do a web cast which involved 3 separate cities and all the pictures had to be integrated together as a production. Each cameraperson had to pre-frame their cameras according to the directors 'preview monitor' which is what I fed into this NEW ATEM2CCU embedder and then to the return viewfinders.
I finished writing the software 4 hours prior to the job and didn't have the heart to tell the production people, as it would have sent them into a flap!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2383452595018427&set=p.2383452595018427&type=3&theater

Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

rafibaby

PostThu May 30, 2019 7:45 pm

We just purchased a BMD ATEM Studio Switcher 4K with 3 BMD Studio 4K Cameras. Each camera is connected to the switcher with 2 SDI Coax wires. One wire sends the video/audio to the switcher. The second wire brings control data from the switcher to the camera.

We want to make one of the cameras wireless. We learned that we can use a device such as the CV Pro200 to send video to the switcher wirelessly. However, we have not been able to find a device that can send the control data from the switcher to the camera wirelessly.

We are hoping that someone can make a suggestion.

Baz

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 12:59 am

I have designed a product to do the wireless CCU control but can't finish it yet as I am finishing another major project.
I am hoping about 6 weeks I will be finalising the unit and field testing.
Baz

MISC
VIDEOHUB
Smart 12x12
12x24
72x144
HYPERDECK
ATEM

rafibaby

PostMon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 am

Greetings Baz

Yes, we are very interested in your ATEM2WIFI application. We have two BMD Studio 4K cameras sending wireless video/audio to our ATEM Studio Pro 4K switcher.

We use two Crystal Video Pro-200 wireless kits to send the a/v signals. Unfortunately, the wireless kits cannot be used to send the CCU signals back to the camera. They are designed to transmit and receive a/v only. And we've been unable to find any hardware that would transmit CCU data back to the camera.

Crystal Video states that their Pro-1000 would work because it is bi-directional or full-duplex. However, it is too much overpriced.

This is why your ATEM2WIFI application would be perfect for us. I am disappointed that BMD dropped the ball on this necessity for wireless applications.

Please keep us apprised of your ATEM2WIFI progress.
Thank You, Rafibaby

nathsteeley

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 6:21 am

Hi Baz,
I have encountered the same problems and am very interested in your solution.
I'm also based in Sydney and would like to have a chat.
Regards,
Nathan

Return to Live Production