How to listen to audio from SDI Cameras?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

bradywurtz

How to listen to audio from SDI Cameras?

PostThu Jun 13, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm just using the audio coming from my camera's via the SDI cables being used. This is great because I don't need to purchase a switcher, but the only issue is that while i'm using the ATEM Television Studio, I can only visually see the levels of each audio input i use (i'm using the software controller on a macbook). When I record a video and watch it back, the audio works just fine, but WHILE i'm shooting, i'm not able to hear back any of the audio from the camera's.

is there a way of monitoring the audio coming from these camera's while i'm switching live?

Fred Rodrigues

Re: How to listen to audio from SDI Cameras?

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 4:45 pm

Not without a bunch of extra gear or messing with the mixer. You can use the faders to change what sound you hear on the master output but this will affect your recording (if you are recording). Otherwise you will have to de-embed the audio and use a mixer to listen to it.
http://www.fredrodrigues.net/

Brian Hancock

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 5:24 pm

actually bmd have solved this issue for you and it has got wonderful reviews ...

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/product ... diomonitor

alternatively you could use sdi to audio ... but not sure if it passes a "still" embedded signal through or not ...

bradywurtz

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 pm

yea, for something more expensive than the switcher itself, i might have to find alternatives other than that. thanks though! it looks awesome!

Liam Kennedy

PostFri Jun 14, 2013 7:44 pm

A little bit cheaper would be the SDI to Analog converter ($295).. which would have the added utility of giving you analog component and down conversion to SD - plus analog audio.

Not ideal... but maybe a reasonable work-around.
ATEM 1/ME, TVS, Hyperdeck Studio, Fujitsu Lifebook NH751 USB3

Robert Betzner

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 8:13 am

You can even use the SDI to HDMI converter. It deembeds 2 audio channes as well to analog or AES/EBU.

Cheers

pro.

kbraj

PostSat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 am

Hi since you are using TVS, depending on how you record your final work. You have a free hdmi and two sdi prog out to play with. If you are taking out live feeds via the hdmi, you can get a hdmi splitter connect one to your live feed and the other to a cheap hdmi monitor. You will be able to hear the embeded audio from the Hdmi prog out of TVS. This is what i do to monitor my audio during live events. You can use ultra studio to capture via the sdi prog out to another computer.
Kbraj

Allen Freeman

PostSun Jun 16, 2013 12:31 am

I listen to the Prog audio of my TVS by using an $80 HDMI audio deembedder connected to the HDMI prog out. This lets me monitor the program audio, but not the individual feeds coming into the TVS.
~~
Allen Freeman
Penn's Hill Media
www.pennshill.com

Return to Live Production