Live Stream Setup

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

catahoulacadre

Live Stream Setup

PostSat May 04, 2019 2:18 am

Hello,
I am a newb to livestreaming, but have great equipment that I'm tasked to setup. I have an ATEM, a Hyperdeck Studio Mini recorder, a Blackmagic Webpresenter, and a Rodecaster Pro.

I've been reading and mulling and I think I have figured out the proper setup, just would like some advice as to the efficacy of my figuring.

I think:
Cameras to ATEM via HDMI
ATEM to Presenter via SDI
Presenter to Laptop via USB to stream as a webcam
Laptop out to Hyperdeck via USB-C

Audio from Roadecaster into Laptop via USB-C

At first I thought Rodecaster into Presenter to "join" the Video and then they "frolic" together into the Laptop, but the Rodecaster doesn't have XLR outputs.

Am I going insane? You don't have to answer that question, but do you think I am going about this the right way? Right now I am just trying to figure out what cables my boss needs to buy so I can set this up next week. Thanks!!!

Brett Casadonte

Re: Live Stream Setup

PostTue May 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Can't tell if the Rodecaster has 1/4 or 1/8" main outputs... however, it does appear that it has a pair of main L/R outputs so you can take the audio directly from this into your ATEM. Your config would look like this:

Microphones into Rodecaster

Rodecaster audio out into the BM Switcher (this marries your audio with your video... you would need to get either 1/4 or 1/8" to XLR cables / converters)

Cameras into BM Switcher (turn off the audio on the cameras... I'm assuming that you would be using the audio input into the Rodecaster as your primary audio source / mix for talent... therefore you wouldn't need audio from the cameras)

Program Feed out of Aux Port on BM switcher into HyperDeck via SDI for recording (this will include your audio embedded in the SDI feed)

Program Feed out of BM Switcher into Web Presenter via SDI (your audio will be embedded here as well... just make sure that you turn on XLR audio in the ATEM Software control application)

Web Presenter into the Laptop for streaming.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

catahoulacadre

PostWed May 08, 2019 3:46 am

Absolutely perfect. Appreciate it, Brett!

Justin

Ed_Mantle

PostSat May 11, 2019 9:01 pm

Same set up as me apart from the Rode - interested to hear how you get on with it especially now it can record multitrack iso to internal SD card. Don't love the look of it but for the price and capabilities seems like a nice option.

catahoulacadre

PostTue May 14, 2019 4:12 pm

Brett Casadonte wrote:Can't tell if the Rodecaster has 1/4 or 1/8" main outputs... however, it does appear that it has a pair of main L/R outputs so you can take the audio directly from this into your ATEM. Your config would look like this:

Rodecaster audio out into the BM Switcher (this marries your audio with your video... you would need to get either 1/4 or 1/8" to XLR cables / converters)

Cameras into BM Switcher (turn off the audio on the cameras... I'm assuming that you would be using the audio input into the Rodecaster as your primary audio source / mix for talent... therefore you wouldn't need audio from the cameras)

Program Feed out of Aux Port on BM switcher into HyperDeck via SDI for recording (this will include your audio embedded in the SDI feed)

Program Feed out of BM Switcher into Web Presenter via SDI (your audio will be embedded here as well... just make sure that you turn on XLR audio in the ATEM Software control application)

Got everything setup, working great except the ATEM is not reading the 1/4 in to SLR audio coming from the Rodecaster Pro. Any thoughts on getting that working?

Thanks!
Justin

Brett Casadonte

PostMon May 27, 2019 9:13 pm

catahoulacadre wrote:
Brett Casadonte wrote:Can't tell if the Rodecaster has 1/4 or 1/8" main outputs... however, it does appear that it has a pair of main L/R outputs so you can take the audio directly from this into your ATEM. Your config would look like this:

Got everything setup, working great except the ATEM is not reading the 1/4 in to SLR audio coming from the Rodecaster Pro. Any thoughts on getting that working?

Thanks!
Justin

Two things.

First, to verify the audio out from the Rodecaster is working properly, connect it to something else. If the other device doesn’t receive the audio out, then it could be a cable or configuration issue with the Rodecaster. Conversely, you could try connecting another device to the ATEM via XLR to see if the ATEM receives that signal.

Second, make sure the output gain is up on the Rodecaster. The ATEM switches need the xlr audio signals to have some oomph to them.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Return to Live Production