Help with ATEM Switcher and BMSC

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tommyd23

Help with ATEM Switcher and BMSC

PostTue May 07, 2019 11:14 am

Hi,

I am after some help with some Blackmagic Studio Cameras x2 and an ATEM switcher. I am new to this set up so bear with me. Our goal is to use this set up to record interviews with companies in the mining industry- they aren't going to be broadcasted live, we just wanted something which would allow live editing of the interview so we can upload straight away - our usual workflow was to record on DSLR's and then edit/colour grade etc. This Blackmagic set up is to reduce post production time.

So for the issues we are having. The cameras are being fed into the ATEM via SDI. The 2 cameras we have are using Canon EF lenses (we had to get Micro 4/3 adapters for our existing lenses to fit). One lens is a 50m prime 1.4, the other is a 24-105m zoom with an aperture of 4.0. The cameras themselves do not have a lot of controls built in (something I'm used to having with DSLRs) - it seems I can only change the gain, detail and white balance. So I would assume I would get more controls in the ATEM. Can I change the aperture? It seems as though the cameras are just defaulting to the lowest stop on the aperture and because one lens is 1.4 it is very overexposed. Would the quick solution be to get the exact same lenses for both cameras?

I can also see that in the ATEM Software Control there are some options for colour grading. However, if I try to change anything with the dials, nothing changes. Am I doing something wrong? The studio cameras supposedly have colour correcting capabilities but I can't get it working.

Hopefully this is clear and someone can help- like I said I've come from a DSLR background so moving into this is totally different! Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Tom

Brett Casadonte

Re: Help with ATEM Switcher and BMSC

PostTue May 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi Tom,

The ATEM switch has a built in camera control unit (CCU) that affords you some control of camera functions remotely. However, in order for it to work, there are some configuration steps that you need to take.

1) You need to run a SDI feed back to the Camera from the switcher. The CCU control information is embedded in the program feed... so you need to send a program feed via SDI back to the camera from the ATEM. You can use one of the AUX ports on the ATEM to do this.

2) You need to set the camera number on the camera itself to match the ATEM input that it is connected to. In the setup menu (I think that's the menu... I don't recall off the top of my head) there is a 'Camera Number'. You'll want to set this to the same number as the ATEM input that the camera is connected to. That way making changes to camera 1 in the ATEM software will actually be registered on the camera that is connected to the SDI 1 input.

Please note that the CCU control will override any manual settings on the camera, so you have to chose one or the other when controlling camera functions. For example, if you manually change the gain on the camera and then connect the CCU, the CCU will override your manually set gain to whatever the CCU is configured to.

Lastly, with compatible lenses, the Studio Camera can control the lens aperture / iris directly by using either the up / down or left /right arrows on the back.
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

tommyd23

PostWed May 08, 2019 8:06 am

Brett Casadonte wrote:Hi Tom,

The ATEM switch has a built in camera control unit (CCU) that affords you some control of camera functions remotely. However, in order for it to work, there are some configuration steps that you need to take.

1) You need to run a SDI feed back to the Camera from the switcher. The CCU control information is embedded in the program feed... so you need to send a program feed via SDI back to the camera from the ATEM. You can use one of the AUX ports on the ATEM to do this.

2) You need to set the camera number on the camera itself to match the ATEM input that it is connected to. In the setup menu (I think that's the menu... I don't recall off the top of my head) there is a 'Camera Number'. You'll want to set this to the same number as the ATEM input that the camera is connected to. That way making changes to camera 1 in the ATEM software will actually be registered on the camera that is connected to the SDI 1 input.

Please note that the CCU control will override any manual settings on the camera, so you have to chose one or the other when controlling camera functions. For example, if you manually change the gain on the camera and then connect the CCU, the CCU will override your manually set gain to whatever the CCU is configured to.

Lastly, with compatible lenses, the Studio Camera can control the lens aperture / iris directly by using either the up / down or left /right arrows on the back.

Amazing, that has helped massively. I noticed the ATEM has only one AUX port however- I've just tested with the one camera, one SDI in and one out, I could adjust the colours which is great. Now I've had to order some more SDI cables but I'm assuming I cannot control both cameras at the same time if there is only one AUX port? Can I adjust one, disconnect and then plug in the second and adjust that?

And I'm guessing I don't have the compatible lenses as the up downarrows didn't seem to do anything. Do you recommend any?

Thanks again, you've been a massive help!

Brett Casadonte

PostThu May 09, 2019 2:46 am

tommyd23 wrote:
Amazing, that has helped massively. I noticed the ATEM has only one AUX port however- I've just tested with the one camera, one SDI in and one out, I could adjust the colours which is great. Now I've had to order some more SDI cables but I'm assuming I cannot control both cameras at the same time if there is only one AUX port? Can I adjust one, disconnect and then plug in the second and adjust that?

And I'm guessing I don't have the compatible lenses as the up downarrows didn't seem to do anything. Do you recommend any?

Thanks again, you've been a massive help!

To the best of my knowledge, if you have a d/a (distribution amplifier, such as the Teranex Mini SDI Distribution unit, you should be able to take that Aux feed in and send it out to multiple cameras. So long as the cameras are set up with separate and distinct camera numbers (which correspond to their input number on the back of the ATEM switcher), I believe the CCU control information for all of the cameras is included in the return program feed.

As for lenses, I use a variety of Panasonic Lumix lenses, including the Lumix G X series Vario 35-100mm F2.8, X series 12-35mm f2.8 lens, and the Panasonic 7-14mm f4.0 lens. These are my 'high end' micro 4/3rds lenses. In addition, I also own a couple Panasonic Vario 45-175mm f4-5.6 lenses and 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 lenses. The faster lenses are very nice (though relatively pricey), but the slower lenses, which are much less expensive, are not quite as good image-wise (and because they are considerably slower, I generally only use them outdoors.)
Brett Casadonte
Founder and Techinical Director - GlobeStream Media
http://www.globestreammedia.com
Live Production: on-location and REMI using LiveU
ATEM 2 M/E, 1 M/E, TV Studio Pro 4k, BM URSA Broadcast, & Studio/Micro Studio Cameras

Xtreemtec

PostMon May 13, 2019 12:02 pm

Here is an example with different cameras. But the distribution stays the same.

Also you do not mention which Atem.. But 1 aux would imply a TVS or TVS HD. If it's a TVS HD you have enough outputs. ;)

You can use an Aux or Pgm output. That does not matter.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production